Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New property and feeders need advice >

New property and feeders need advice

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New property and feeders need advice

Old 06-30-2022, 06:56 PM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 8
Default New property and feeders need advice

I just bought 40 acres in south east coastal Georgia. It has 2 ponds and semi wet swamp on it. It is extremely thick brush and huge oak trees. So thick you couldn't walk through half of it with because of the brush being taller and thicker than me. There are some areas that aren't as thick and some shooting lanes could easily be done. I have a small trail that follows the edge of the ponds, swamp and goes around the super thick brush area. I see a lot of deer over in that area. Id like to set up a feeder right in between the swamp and thick brush since I see them pass through there a lot. Also nearby one of the ponds, the other is across the property. Since its in the semi thick woods should I clear all the little trees and brush around the feeder to make a little open circle around it? Should i rake up all the leaves on the ground so the corn lands on the dirt when the feeder goes off? I've never seen people use feeders in super thick areas so I don't know what needs to be done.
mason_o is offline  
Old 07-01-2022, 03:07 AM
  #2  
Boone & Crockett
 
Oldtimr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 15,421
Default

The feeder should be in an opening. I don't know if baiting is allowed in GA but you may be better off even if it is legal to have bait out during the season to plant biologic and or turnips than putting out bait. You need to decide where you are going to put your stands before you put out feeders or plant food plots. You may want to cut trails through the thick stuff but don't mess around in the bedding areas. Cpngrats on aquiring your own piece of paradise.
Oldtimr is online now  
Old 07-01-2022, 06:29 AM
  #3  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
The feeder should be in an opening. I don't know if baiting is allowed in GA but you may be better off even if it is legal to have bait out during the season to plant biologic and or turnips than putting out bait. You need to decide where you are going to put your stands before you put out feeders or plant food plots. You may want to cut trails through the thick stuff but don't mess around in the bedding areas. Cpngrats on aquiring your own piece of paradise.
. Thanks for the response. How open are you saying? Because thereís no open areas so Iím going to have to clear around it should I clear like a 10ft circle around it 20ft circle? and do I have to rake/clear the ground or is it fine to leave all the leaves and stuff
mason_o is offline  
Old 07-01-2022, 11:24 AM
  #4  
Boone & Crockett
 
Oldtimr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 15,421
Default

Originally Posted by mason_o
. Thanks for the response. How open are you saying? Because thereís no open areas so Iím going to have to clear around it should I clear like a 10ft circle around it 20ft circle? and do I have to rake/clear the ground or is it fine to leave all the leaves and stuff
If you are not going to plant food plots which would be your best move you need a cleared area that you can see from your deer stand and there should be active deer trails close by so the deer will be likely to see it. Just sticking a feeder out in the woods where deer have to stumble on it is not a good plan.
Oldtimr is online now  
Old 07-04-2022, 01:26 PM
  #5  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 8
Default

The woods is mostly thick brush and lots of hardwoods combined, there's no open/cleared areas except a powerline cut that goes through half of the property then stops at the driveway. The powerline company nearby cleared a opening in one end of the powerline that was super overgrown and now around the corner you can see a house. Would I be better off spending a ton of time using a chainsaw and clearing a area in the woods or plant in the already made powerline. The powerline used to be an old road to enter the property so its probably around 20 yards wide and 200 yards long. In the main straight side where it enters the road you cant see the house, once you go around a corner you can then see the house. Manbye I could pile some brush and trees so the house isnt as visable? Or just clear a strip of area in the middle of the property in the woods.
mason_o is offline  
Old 07-04-2022, 03:32 PM
  #6  
Boone & Crockett
 
Oldtimr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 15,421
Default

Originally Posted by mason_o
The woods is mostly thick brush and lots of hardwoods combined, there's no open/cleared areas except a powerline cut that goes through half of the property then stops at the driveway. The powerline company nearby cleared a opening in one end of the powerline that was super overgrown and now around the corner you can see a house. Would I be better off spending a ton of time using a chainsaw and clearing a area in the woods or plant in the already made powerline. The powerline used to be an old road to enter the property so its probably around 20 yards wide and 200 yards long. In the main straight side where it enters the road you cant see the house, once you go around a corner you can then see the house. Manbye I could pile some brush and trees so the house isnt as visable? Or just clear a strip of area in the middle of the property in the woods.
Is the powerline on your property? If so it would be a good place for a feeder, or for some planting of feed for deer. How far away from your property is the house you mention? If the powerline is on your property I would post it as well as the perimeter of your property. No sense spending the money and putting in work just to have stranger reaping the benefits. You definitely want to clear shooting lanes in areas where you are going to hunt. Part of the fun of owning your property will be creating better habitat for the deer.
Oldtimr is online now  
Old 07-04-2022, 06:24 PM
  #7  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 8
Default

Iím on a 80acre property split down the middle by the driveway. but I only own 40. The other half is owned by a overseas general and isnít hunted or anything. The powerline is on my property. It goes from the driveway then 200 yards there is the house. But right before the house there is around a bend so itís not really seen. And I could pile some brush so itíd be even more unseen. So tje powerline basically from the road goes 200 yards tjem curves and the house is right there. So pretty hidden. I never see deer when I drive by the powerline though and thereís already some clover and flowers in it. Not a lot, but some. But I guess if I plant something and give them a reason they would feed in it. I guess if I really want to long term I could plant some brush trees right on the side of the driveway to make it feel even more enclosed when there im tje middle of the powerline. I mainly see the deer back in the other side of my property though and itís real thick in there. Also right next to a swamp and pond so I think thatís why they like it. Also thank you so much for you help with this!
PS: If I hunt the powerline I would have to put a blind right in front of the road, so I wouldnít have anywhere to clear lanes. Because I canít acess a blind in the other side of the powerline unless I cut a trail down the other side of the property and out a blind on the side with the house, blocking the house even more

Last edited by mason_o; 07-04-2022 at 06:28 PM.
mason_o is offline  
Old 07-05-2022, 03:11 AM
  #8  
Boone & Crockett
 
Oldtimr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 15,421
Default

Originally Posted by mason_o
Iím on a 80acre property split down the middle by the driveway. but I only own 40. The other half is owned by a overseas general and isnít hunted or anything. The powerline is on my property. It goes from the driveway then 200 yards there is the house. But right before the house there is around a bend so itís not really seen. And I could pile some brush so itíd be even more unseen. So tje powerline basically from the road goes 200 yards tjem curves and the house is right there. So pretty hidden. I never see deer when I drive by the powerline though and thereís already some clover and flowers in it. Not a lot, but some. But I guess if I plant something and give them a reason they would feed in it. I guess if I really want to long term I could plant some brush trees right on the side of the driveway to make it feel even more enclosed when there im tje middle of the powerline. I mainly see the deer back in the other side of my property though and itís real thick in there. Also right next to a swamp and pond so I think thatís why they like it. Also thank you so much for you help with this!
PS: If I hunt the powerline I would have to put a blind right in front of the road, so I wouldnít have anywhere to clear lanes. Because I canít acess a blind in the other side of the powerline unless I cut a trail down the other side of the property and out a blind on the side with the house, blocking the house even more
Turnip mix or biologic would be a good choice to plant.
Oldtimr is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.