Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer Bait that Feral Pigs dont Like >

Deer Bait that Feral Pigs dont Like

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Bait that Feral Pigs dont Like

Old 03-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Bait that Feral Pigs dont Like

I have been using corn for about two weeks in front of my trail cam. In north alabama corn works great but down here in south alabama all i get is feral pigs. I get between 500 - 600 pics a day. They easily go through 50 lbs of corn in one night. I need something to bait deer that dont attract pigs. Any suggestions?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Put some of that pork in your freezer. They'll learn pretty quickly to stay away from your deer corn.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

I definetly plan on stickin a pig. There are plenty of them around here.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, the problem with the original question is that, if it's food, pigs will eat it.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

thats what im afraid of. As long as the pigs are there... the deer wont be
Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pigs can't climb, jump or walk on their rear legs much. Put it up high enough for deer and too high for pigs.

But hey what do I know...never chased a pig in my life.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

Panel the corn in and the pigs out. Like in Texas....deer can jump in...pigs stay out. Make it sturdy and keep check around the bottom so the dont root under it.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hogs are the biggest problem facing all hunters that I can think of. They will eat anything, including everything that a deer will eat. Building a fence using the short hog panels is probably the best bet, although a BIG hog will try to tear it down to get to corn. I see hog rubs on trees sometimes, waist high or higher, that are a little unnerving as to the size of the hogs.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

tHEM DARN THINGS WILL EAT ANYTHING.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Try the deer pellets and see if the deer eat them, they are alfalfa based and a little too hot for pigs. They dont particularly care for em in florida. Sadly the deer on my lease dont care for em as much as corn though. Soy beans will work for a little while but the pigs will eventually start eating them too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.