Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Bagged a buck in GA with doe grunt call >

Bagged a buck in GA with doe grunt call

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bagged a buck in GA with doe grunt call

Old 11-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bagged a buck in GA with doe grunt call

I have hunted this spot on public land for years, and have seen many does, but I think I am finally getting smart about how to hunt it. There is a valley with thick pines where they bed down. I usually hunt this from a ridge, and several times I have scared away does that saw me first as I approached. I have tried using grunt calls before but with no success until this weekend. The moon was full of course, so I figured they might be active later in the day. I went out about 4pm, and snuck up on the other side of the ridge and sat down in a natural ground blind. After 3 short grunts, I hear something and get my rifle up. A five point buck comes wandering up over the ridge right at me! At about 25 ft I fire and nail him.
I would appreciate any feedback or tips. It is doe season here, so now that I got a buck I want to hunt for does. Do doe grunt calls bring does as well as bucks? Obviously, the rut has started in GA. I thought about using a deer decoy.
Also, I think I am finally getting smart about not getting too close to their bedding area. This spot is like their front door, so from now on I will set up a little distance away, and use the calls to bring them to me.

Enjoy!
Old 11-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Spike

Default RE: Bagged a buck in GA with doe grunt call

I hunted Georgia for years and the most productive call I ever used was a doe grunt. It does call in does too. The only other call that worked good for me was the " true-talker" grunt tube.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks kodiak! I will keep using the grunt.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:33 PM

where in ga do yall hunt? ive hunted bulloch county and dougherty county with no sucess so far this year.
raim
Old 11-11-2003, 05:10 PM

raim, are you going to try out Chickasawhacthee?
Old 11-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

for a minute i thought you flogged the deer withthe call... congrats!
Old 11-12-2003, 08:59 AM

the deer for a minute i thought you flogged withthe call... congrats
Im glad im not the only one that thought that.. Congrats on your harvest ...
Old 11-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

raim, I usually hunt public land, mostly Oconee in Jasper county. Sometimes I go up North to the mountains when Oconee is closed, but I dont seem to see as many there.

Hey.. if flogging works I will try it!
Old 11-12-2003, 07:32 PM

no, ive only hunted those two counties and thats all ill prob do this season. im tryin to find public land to hunt on though. any help yall can give as to where/how i can find some?
i always joke around w/ my friends about going out with a pair of chopsticks and using those to bag a deer, so i dont see why flogging a deer couldnt work...
Old 11-13-2003, 05:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Bagged a buck in GA with doe grunt call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.