Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Natural Ground Blind Ideas

Old 01-04-2022, 01:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Would make a great turkey hunting tool. Quick and easy to set up.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:13 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I need to ask. Was that popup staked down on all 4 corners?

I use quite a variety of different popups. If not staked to the ground properly - Yes they will blow away. But My Double Bulls do set up very quickly and all are always staked. If you need more than the 4 hub guidelines then stake the bottom fabric in the provided grommet holes too.

JW

Last edited by JW; 01-04-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by JW
I need to ask. Was that popup staked down on all 4 corners?

I use quite a variety of different popups. If not staked to the ground properly - Yes they will blow away. But My Double Bulls do set up very quickly and staked. If you need more than the 4 hib guidelines stake the bottom fabric in 4 places too.
By the looks of the utube I watched it is more of a front and side shield rather than a sit inside popup. It looks like it quickly unfolds and you sit behind it like you would with a brush blind. The mirrored side reflects the surrounding so it blends in with whatever you are sitting in. For safety though I don't think I would hunt pub lands with it for turkey. I always sit against a large tree and my whole body even though in full camo can be seen. Not sure I would want to be sticking my head up behind something that is basically a mirror.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

I believe JW is talking about the OP's original post involving a popup blind blowing away. I had the same question in mind. with a couple t-posts or even a couple pieces of rebar, you could stake a popup blind pretty securely and fix the OP's wind problem. After rereading the OP post, I can see that he and his son were in pasture. Even staked, a popup blind would still be very noticeable to deer looking for anything suspicious. With a Ghost Blind, the OP and his son would appear almost invisible in the same pasture. That is a very interesting concept and plan.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:15 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Aren't Ghost Blinds solid mirrored panels?

So how do you stake these down in a wide open pasture vs the wind?
JW

Old 01-04-2022, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by JW
Aren't Ghost Blinds solid mirrored panels?

So how do you stake these down in a wide open pasture vs the wind?
JW
Yes they are solid mirrored panels. There is an anchoring system that utilizes some small holes that a round anchor sits in and it is attached to a line that you anchor with stakes. The blind comes with 6 or 8 (I don't remember the exact number) so you can use as many as you need to get it to stay put. They really are a cool system because the blend in with any background. As I stated earlier I used one in a plowed field to take deer in VA. I don't think you could use anything else in a plowed field. The ghost blind is easily portable so you can literally set up anywhere you find sign.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:04 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Hands down a Ghost Blind. Zip tie two together and you are 360 degree golden. Best part is you can move it around daily to reposition without alerting the deer. Otherwise would be vulnerable to detection with anything else. I use mine during turkey season for edgy late-season Wisconsin toms. I'm invisible. Nuff said.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:40 AM
Spike

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. The ground blind was staked at all 4 corners. I left it out all last winter with no issues, this winter it was gone. I'm pretty sure the wind took it away as we had 3 or 4 crazy windy days in a row but it also wouldn't shock me if someone came in and took it. Not sure what I'll decide to do yet, the ghost blinds intrigue me and I will look into those more. Thanks again and stay warm, crazy cold the next couple days here in Kansas!
Old 01-05-2022, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Zim
Hands down a Ghost Blind. Zip tie two together and you are 360 degree golden. Best part is you can move it around daily to reposition without alerting the deer. Otherwise would be vulnerable to detection with anything else. I use mine during turkey season for edgy late-season Wisconsin toms. I'm invisible. Nuff said.
speaking of cold.That's the downside to the ghost blind. Especially if you have kids along. With an enclosed blind you can run a heater and stay warm.

-Jake