Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
accepting the facts with little prejudice >

accepting the facts with little prejudice

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

accepting the facts with little prejudice

Old 03-08-2020, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gonna add a few:

1)Hunt until the very last light is gone and hunt that way clear to the last day. The last 20 min on the last day is as good and sometimes even better than the first 20 min of opening day.

2)Get out of camp. I have never taken a game animal in camp.

3)Think positively. The game is there somewhere. If you're not seeing game then hoof it until you either find game or find sign. Then hunt.

4)Learn to hit with the first bullet out of a cold barrel. That is the critical shot, not the 2 or 3 follow up rounds. And don't expect the animal to drop at the shot. Some do. Most don't. Many fatally shot animals are not recovered because often the shooter doesn't bother to do a proper search after the shot especially if the animal runs off.

5)Learn how to spot game. Don't look for the whole animal, learn to see the pieces: a flickering ear, an eye, an antler tip, that tuft of hair. Those are what you look for.

6)Never pass on the chance to hunt a new species or a new area.

7) Learn your rifle/bow/muzzleloader etc... I'm not a fan of changing gear just for the sake of changing. I shoot the same 7mm Mag I got in 1976 when I was 13. I shoot the same 9.3x62 Mauser my wife to be got me more than 20 years ago. If it works there is no reason the change and if those 2 rifles don't bring home meat after the shot I know it is my fault and not the rifle's fault.

8)Take a kid hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by flags; 03-08-2020 at 09:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-09-2020, 03:23 AM
Fork Horn

I tend to agree with most every thing said, with only the local adjustment for the typical range a deer is shot at...In northern NY we are mainly wood shunting, and although you may be able to see a deer a fair ways out, dang few deer are taken farther than probably 75 yards, yet people obsess over sighting at 200 and never learn what their rifle will do at close ranges. The past twenty years I don't think I have shot a deer further out than 50 yards, honestly speaking.
And absolutely agree with the original statement about peeps getting in the woods early and staying late. I have a couple friends who bum over never seeing anything, but they are only going in the woods a 1/2 hr after sun up.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are always a few local adjustments to be made but on the whole, some very good advice.