Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question

Old 11-11-2019, 02:23 AM
Spike

Default Question

My fiancé hit a deer last night any idea where she hit it at we tracked it for about 200 yards and couldn’t find it
Attached Thumbnails Question-46b1faba-9c9a-4cad-a03b-e64076256e04.jpeg  
Old 11-11-2019, 02:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not in the lungs with that kind if bleeding. It could be anywhere, what kind of hair did you find on the ground at the spot the deer was shot? What did she shoot it with, gun or bow?
Old 11-11-2019, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

first off welcome to the site
and next, its impossible for anyone to tell where a deer was hit by looking at a picture of blood
a good hit on a deer can drop it in its tracks, they can also run a LONG ways and then die
or, some can bleed for miles and THEN die, or maybe even live, pending where shot!

this is why its very important to pay attention at time of shot and watch where your arrow/bolt hits, and why lighted nocks help this a lot!(just saying not bashing here)

200 yards is not really far for a hit deer to run
you need to keep looking, if LEGAL< its a great idea to try and find someone in your area with a DEER TRACKING DOG< there are clubs of folks that do this, some for free some for a FEE, to recover deer hit by hunters
some again are free, as they LIKE to watch there dogs work and get there dogs experienced, some will want a few bucks for the time and s services they provide, but they will HIGHLY improve your odds of finding a deer if your unable to track yourself!
don't know where your from so cannot offer any suggestions, but doing a online search might find you someone close to you!

IF not, start slow and work out in circles from where the last blood was found at, and go a good 1/4 past it in every direction, its not really lost till YOU give up on trying to find it!
Old 11-11-2019, 07:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
first off welcome to the site
and next, its impossible for anyone to tell where a deer was hit by looking at a picture of blood
a good hit on a deer can drop it in its tracks, they can also run a LONG ways and then die
or, some can bleed for miles and THEN die, or maybe even live, pending where shot!

this is why its very important to pay attention at time of shot and watch where your arrow/bolt hits, and why lighted nocks help this a lot!(just saying not bashing here)

200 yards is not really far for a hit deer to run
you need to keep looking, if LEGAL< its a great idea to try and find someone in your area with a DEER TRACKING DOG< there are clubs of folks that do this, some for free some for a FEE, to recover deer hit by hunters
some again are free, as they LIKE to watch there dogs work and get there dogs experienced, some will want a few bucks for the time and s services they provide, but they will HIGHLY improve your odds of finding a deer if your unable to track yourself!
don't know where your from so cannot offer any suggestions, but doing a online search might find you someone close to you!

IF not, start slow and work out in circles from where the last blood was found at, and go a good 1/4 past it in every direction, its not really lost till YOU give up on trying to find it!
Thank you I was just wondering I’m going back out after work and looking again it was her first deer and I was trying to get everything just right so she had a good shot I couldn’t see the arrow when it hit him and I still have not found the arrow and I’m from ohio
Old 11-11-2019, 07:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Not in the lungs with that kind if bleeding. It could be anywhere, what kind of hair did you find on the ground at the spot the deer was shot? What did she shoot it with, gun or bow?
she shot it with a bow about 20 yards and I couldn’t see any hair or really a lot of blood where she shot him at and I couldn’t find the arrow
Old 11-11-2019, 08:17 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Mark the area where shot took place for reference with orange tape. Its handy to look back at that point of impact as you search further out for other sign. Then work in the direction she saw it go.
If you find blood mark that spot. It will give you line of sight and a good direction to proceed. Be careful to stay off blood markings. You loose the trail then look in a zigzag pattern from your marked trail.
Still lost go back to your last confirmed finding and take your time. Deer can leap quite some distance.

If you have any buddies with blood tracking dogs I also recommend that.

But take your time.
JW
Old 11-11-2019, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck with the search and welcome to the site. I have tracked a bunch of deer and for the most part a hard hit deer will take a path of least resistance, stay level or head downhill and often stay on a game trail. Marking the blood locations often gives a good picture of the path so if the blood is sparse then a general path gives a better chance of finding again if you are ranging out from last blood. if you get the feeling that the trail is about to end by either seeing spots it fell or a big increase in blood look for a thicket or blow down. They often will dive into cover and die. I have walked right past a dead deer and only found it by climbing into the blow down after seeing the blood trail end. If you come to a creek I have found them dead in those too.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sharpshooter500

Thank you I was just wondering I’m going back out after work and looking again it was her first deer and I was trying to get everything just right so she had a good shot I couldn’t see the arrow when it hit him and I still have not found the arrow and I’m from ohio
sent you a PM< with a name and # of a deer tracking guy I know in SE Ohio
if he doesn't be close to you, odds are he will know others across the state, as he is a member of a club for deer tracking dogs, and they are all over the USA
forget name of club , but are a lot of these that offer this service,