Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting distance

Old 11-06-2019, 07:25 PM
Spike

Default Hunting distance

How close is too close to hunt to someone. I am currently set up 145 yards from another blind and Iím wondering if it is to close?
Old 11-06-2019, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

It depends on the terrain.

In Wyoming hunting antelope that would be way too close.

In thick eastern whitetail country you could have 4 people set up across 150 yards in certain situations.

You need to look at the terrain and make the decision for yourself. If you're sitting there staring at each other, it's probably too close for a firearms hunt. Although not in every situation. If your bow hunting a field edge, again... you could have people set up every 50 yards and be alright.

Safety needs to be your #1 consideration.

-Jake
Old 11-06-2019, 07:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala View Post
It depends on the terrain.

In Wyoming hunting antelope that would be way too close.

In thick eastern whitetail country you could have 4 people set up across 150 yards in certain situations.

You need to look at the terrain and make the decision for yourself. If you're sitting there staring at each other, it's probably too close for a firearms hunt. Although not in every situation. If your bow hunting a field edge, again... you could have people set up every 50 yards and be alright.

Safety needs to be your #1 consideration.

-Jake
it is safe, I am using a firearm and the woods are dense between us.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Then I'd be alright with that distance. Does the other blind know you're there? That close, they should probably know you're over there.

If you're hunting a huge chunk of ground, courtesy might lead you to seek out somewhere not so tight. But ... Terrain, deer movement, who you're hunting with, who's in the other blind, deer density, etc all goes into the decision.

Jesus likely said it best : do to others as you would have them do to you. If you think you can both have a quality hunt, it's all good. If you know that you are messing somebody else up and they were there first then you should move.

Good luck!

-Jake
Old 11-06-2019, 11:42 PM
Spike

Where I hunt, (we both know where each other are) we want to be far enough apart that if one person can see a deer at their maximum shooting range, the next person cannot see the same deer at the same time, and vice versa. And, we both hunt from elevated blinds, we want our positions to be so that at maximum distance we are shooting into the ground beyond our target. For us, this means 200 yards apart.

Last edited by kayak; 11-06-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Too close from my way of thinking even though it is thick. All that means is you can't see each other but a bullet could get through. Bow hunting would be OK but not firearms.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too close for me unless we are hunting together and have already gone over any scenarios. Even then, I'd want to be in contact with that person by text or radio in case someone was moving.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree terrain matters here, if you have a few ravines between you, a LOT of room for things to get past between you's still, and as for a bullet traveling thru, that again depends on HOW think and what it is going thru

I personally would ever shoot towards a known other hunting in a blind, or tree stand or on the ground period
SO< if BOTH of you kn ow your there, and do like wise, it can be done safely
problem is, if one of you doesn't and get trigger happy IMO!
Buck fever has been known to cause folks to send lead all over !

MY other question for you might be, do you WANT to be this close to another hunter knowingly?

they can do both, keep deer from you or scare deer into you, pending how well they hunt, scent control, how fidgety they get, , or making noises or

while they do on stand, how long they sit, or what time they come in and leave?

a lot of things can be a issue for me ,and I would do my best to get a LOT farther away from them, but this is my personal choice

over the yrs I have seen and had folks come a LOT closer than that, and I find it very rude at time and ignorant too!
Once had a guy walk right up to me and wanted to sit BACK TO BACK with me so we could watch things better he said, and he wasn't
joking<
I was real happy I walked in a hour and half before sunlight to get to the spot to have him show up 30 minutes after day light and want to sit next to me?(also smoking like a chimney)
so, trust me, it could be worse !!
Old 11-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Tyler2223 View Post
How close is too close to hunt to someone. I am currently set up 145 yards from another blind and Iím wondering if it is to close?
If you KNOW it is 145 yards and you KNOW that guy hunting there and he KNOWS you, meh, what ever.

If he don't know YOU by name and you don't know HIM or when he will be there, then if he is there FIRST, you are too close. If YOU are there first, he is too close.