Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot the Deer... Now what?

Old 10-09-2019, 03:54 AM
Spike

Default Shot the Deer... Now what?

I'm probably opening a big can of worms here... but this is something I'd like to have relatively figured out BEFORE I harvest my first Ohio deer.

I'm pretty familiar with the HOW to gut and skin a deer from experience on the 2 NC deer I harvested 5 years ago or so, and I picked up a gambrel (just how I like to do it).

However, I have never bow hunted. So, I'm wondering after I shoot... and track if necessary... how long do i have to skin, gut, and get the deer to the butcher? I really want my wife and kids to be supportive of this hobby, and the last thing I want is gamey meat!
Old 10-09-2019, 04:49 AM
Spike

That's really going to depend largely on current temperatures and how long you wait to track / find the deer.

If it's a 60 degree day and you need to wait an hour to start tracking, and then it takes you another hour to locate, then yes - you'll want to field dress immediately to help cool down the meat. Get to butcher ASAP.

If it's 28 degrees out and you see it drop 30 yards from where you shot it, then wait 30 mins, field dress, and now you've got a few hours to work with.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

like what said agovbe, every shot and kill depends on many variables

if you are very confident the shot was perfect and where it was to be
a Quick death will occur, and the time needed for it will be short
if you make a less than perfect hit, the amount of time should be based on where you THINK you hit the deer, the less vitals area , the longer the wait
as for meat spoiling and all, that comes down to temp's , in warm weather the sooner the better IMO is the general rule
in colder weather, , they can last a few days or longer with proper hanging and venting
ME< I am always one that liked to butcher as soon as possible, why wait
I do NOT age my deer meat like some do, never felt the need to do so!
so, pending your view here,
the faster the better IMO< from death to gutted to skinned and cut up, wrapped and frozen the better!

the time it takes to SPOIL>< will again cari based on air temp and condition of animal, and the shot placement
GUT shot deer can make a mess of things faster and spoil faster than lung shot deer IMO< due to the intestines getting ruptured and can leach into the meat as time passes!
the warmer the air temp the faster the spoiling process can happen!
Over night is seldom a worry in most places in hunting season as tempos are normally cool enough to keep and then some
DOWN south in warmer places, is where worries get more valid!
Old 10-09-2019, 06:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by blsjds
That's really going to depend largely on current temperatures and how long you wait to track / find the deer.

If it's a 60 degree day and you need to wait an hour to start tracking, and then it takes you another hour to locate, then yes - you'll want to field dress immediately to help cool down the meat. Get to butcher ASAP.

If it's 28 degrees out and you see it drop 30 yards from where you shot it, then wait 30 mins, field dress, and now you've got a few hours to work with.
That makes sense. Thank you!!
Old 10-09-2019, 06:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
like what said agovbe, every shot and kill depends on many variables

if you are very confident the shot was perfect and where it was to be
a Quick death will occur, and the time needed for it will be short
if you make a less than perfect hit, the amount of time should be based on where you THINK you hit the deer, the less vitals area , the longer the wait
as for meat spoiling and all, that comes down to temp's , in warm weather the sooner the better IMO is the general rule
in colder weather, , they can last a few days or longer with proper hanging and venting
ME< I am always one that liked to butcher as soon as possible, why wait
I do NOT age my deer meat like some do, never felt the need to do so!
so, pending your view here,
the faster the better IMO< from death to gutted to skinned and cut up, wrapped and frozen the better!

the time it takes to SPOIL>< will again cari based on air temp and condition of animal, and the shot placement
GUT shot deer can make a mess of things faster and spoil faster than lung shot deer IMO< due to the intestines getting ruptured and can leach into the meat as time passes!
the warmer the air temp the faster the spoiling process can happen!
Over night is seldom a worry in most places in hunting season as tempos are normally cool enough to keep and then some
DOWN south in warmer places, is where worries get more valid!
Sounds like most of the season I should be good to go here in Northeast Ohio! Thank you for taking the time to explain!
Old 10-09-2019, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

A big cooler is a must have IMO. If its warm get it gutted, skinned and in the cooler ASAP then you have time to work with.

Our youth season is early and usual warm. When my daughter shoots a deer we gut it,ice the cavity and put it straight in a cooler hide and all. We leave the plug out of the cooler so it stays as dry as possible,

Last edited by rockport; 10-09-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Where are you at Sean? I'm in Trumbull county and can walk you through it. PM me and a can exchange numbers. If you get one I can come help you out if you would like

-Jake
Old 10-09-2019, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once you recover the deer, take some pics and gut immediately. It’s so import to get it cooled. I shot a buck in Ohio a few years back. Once I dragged it out I drove to a store to report it. I bought several bags of ice and filled the cavity and between the hind legs with ice bags to cool as it was 70 degrees that day. I usually leave the meat on the bone for at least 24 hours so the meat will “relax” before I butcher.

Best of luck!
Old 10-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

another good tip is make sure you have a butcher lined up in advance and NOT be looking after you find one, if you don't plan to do it yourself

and I second the adding bags of ice to gutted chest cavity, 2 gags fit easy and work well
Old 10-11-2019, 05:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
another good tip is make sure you have a butcher lined up in advance and NOT be looking after you find one, if you don't plan to do it yourself

and I second the adding bags of ice to gutted chest cavity, 2 gags fit easy and work well
The butcher I'll be using is 15 minutes down the road.... so if I know what I'm doing (and I'm fairly confident I do)... I should be able to have it gutted, skinned, and to the butcher within an hour.

Fingers crossed!!

Thank you for the great advice everyone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.