Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot the Deer... Now what?

Old 10-11-2019, 09:02 AM
Spike

Good luck out there!
Old 10-11-2019, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

After you harvested the deer...see if you can find a nice, shady tree that you can field dress it under. After field dressing...find an approx. 1" x 6 or 8 inch long stick, so you can prop open the body cavity between the rib cage for better cooling.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Erno86
After you harvested the deer...see if you can find a nice, shady tree that you can field dress it under. After field dressing...find an approx. 1" x 6 or 8 inch long stick, so you can prop open the body cavity between the rib cage for better cooling.
Will do! I'll be field dressing while hanging on a gambrel. I'll make sure it's under a shady tree. Good tip on propping her open with a stick!
Old 10-11-2019, 11:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by blsjds
Good luck out there!
Thank you!
Old 10-14-2019, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Seanyboy87
Will do! I'll be field dressing while hanging on a gambrel. I'll make sure it's under a shady tree. Good tip on propping her open with a stick!
The gambrel will hang the deer in the wrong direction for field dressing. If field dressing while hanging, it is best to hang it by the head. That way all the "inerds" flow out the hind end.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by rogerstv
The gambrel will hang the deer in the wrong direction for field dressing. If field dressing while hanging, it is best to hang it by the head. That way all the "inerds" flow out the hind end.

A matter of opinion and preference!