Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Doe blows

Old 10-06-2019, 03:52 PM
Spike

Default Doe blows

I was in the stand tonight and took a shot at a deer. I misjudged the shot and missed, the deer blew about 3 times while running off. Is my spot ruined, will the deer come back, or will my spot be back to normal in a day or so?
Old 10-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Go on back if it is a good spot. She don't know what spooked her and other deer don't either.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes deer will travel in big circles...going back to the place where they were originally spooked. --- Especially a wounded one that is able to walk.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Have had deer blow like that as they were leaving an area. Stayed put and a few hours later there were deer back into the area.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with Erno and Vapa. I've had them return in less than an hour when spooked. Many Deer when spooked backtrail themselves often, especially if they are just breaking cover when spooked. But half the time return.

If you draw blood and the other Deer smell the blood and your scent together, they may associate the two. I usually give that spot a rest. Been my experience there are dumb Deer and smart Deer. The smart ones are usually survivors. The dumb ones die young.

The stupidest Deer I ever saw had it in his mind to take a short cut through my Jeep Cherokee. I had both front doors open, it looked left, then right then started straight for the open door. My dog was in the back seat asleep, he woke up and dissuaded that Deer.

I was stiill hunting and caught a Deer laying down asleep. My first arrow hit eight inches short, the Deer looked at the arrow then at me and the next arrow was right through the chest. Point is, Deer are notional and sometimes there is no telling what they are going to do.

IMO most Deer under two years old only survive because of their keen senses and speed, it is all instinct.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

If its a good spot, go back and hunt it! Last year I had 3 does come in to my spot, I shot the biggest doe with a gun.... Not a bow. I waited in the stand to give her time to pass. About an hour later, the 2 does that were with her walked through again, grunting, looking for her. As long as the deer did not see or smell you, they have no idea what spooked them. Just to be safe, you might want to give it a few days rest.