Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Please help need advice

Old 12-24-2018, 06:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Yes, go back and look for the deer. In those temperatures, the meat will be fine. Besides, it's your responsibility to make every effort to recover the deer regardless of temps.
This. Go get that deer.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Erno86
A base of the tail (anus) going away shot placement with a properly constructed bullet, is a lethal shot placement; but a close miss just might hit the hams --- and unless you hit the femoral artery --- expect a long tracking job.
I would not even consider this shot! Chances of a long tracking job are high and it's going to be a nasty cleaning job when the bullet finishes expanding in the guts! Not to mention a lot of wasted meat if you hit the hams! Also before I get the "that's the only shot I had at a nice trophy deer," story, a bad shot is a bad shot period! Doe, runt or B&C buck!
Old 12-26-2018, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JagMagMan
I would not even consider this shot! Chances of a long tracking job are high and it's going to be a nasty cleaning job when the bullet finishes expanding in the guts! Not to mention a lot of wasted meat if you hit the hams! Also before I get the "that's the only shot I had at a nice trophy deer," story, a bad shot is a bad shot period! Doe, runt or B&C buck!
I agree I can't ever imagine telling someone that I would take an anus shot at a deer !
Old 12-26-2018, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Erno86
A base of the tail (anus) going away shot placement with a properly constructed bullet, is a lethal shot placement; but a close miss just might hit the hams --- and unless you hit the femoral artery --- expect a long tracking job.
So is a head shot. But, you could blow their lower jaw off setting them up for death by starvation.

I hope you never have and never will take either shot.