Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 TX Hunters:  Who Scored and Where and Rut Activity? >

TX Hunters: Who Scored and Where and Rut Activity?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

TX Hunters: Who Scored and Where and Rut Activity?

Old 11-03-2003, 09:42 AM

Default TX Hunters: Who Scored and Where and Rut Activity?

As one of you, just curious how you did this last weekend and what you saw and where you saw it (general part of the state).

I didn' t go out this weekend but have been out a few times already, bowhunting. Seen a few but nothing to get my heart pumping.

Let me know if you know of any Texas specific forums which covers this info.

Goodluck this season!
Old 11-03-2003, 10:19 AM

Default RE: TX Hunters: Who Scored and Where and Rut Activity?

I hunt in East Texas. One member on the lease took an 8 pointer. I saw a 4 pointer walk quickly out of the woods and went right back in. It was to dark to tell but I think I heard some does walking through shortly before the buck came out. Maybe this is a good sign, especially with the cold front coming through this weekend. Besides that the only thing I heard were cans of mosquito spray. It was pretty slow this weekend.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty slow here in Southeast, Texas. Way too warm and plenty of skeeters out but yep, I saw some deer. I had a nice 7 point and a big knarly spike come out with a doe yesterday evening. On opening morning I had a small spike and 2 doe come out for about an hour. Not too bad with the warm temperatures and the bright moon.
We have a good cold front coming in on Thursday. Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be pay dirt!! I' m looking forward to it.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:16 PM

Thanks to you both. Sounds like things are fixin to get good.

If you have some success, let the rest of us know.

I hunt up in the Panhandle where you don' t see too many deer but you' ll occasionally see a good one. Long way to drive from Dallas though so limited opportunities.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:27 PM

My brother and I both saw some does but not bucks. Too warm. Hunted til noon no deer after 9:30. Skeeters were moving though. Did not hear very many shots here in East Texas. Several of my friends had no luck either. They saw does but no bucks.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:01 AM

Have done my share of hunting in east Texas and, I feel for you folks. Not too much fun sitting all day only to see only a few(if any)deer. I have moved on to the Hill Country and its a diiferent world.
Opening morning was pretty good (5 nice 8 pointers) but the rest of the weekend was slow. Like you I am looking forward to this weekend for the cold front and the rut is coming!!!!

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL!
Old 11-04-2003, 05:54 AM

Here in Central Texas saw a lot less deer than normal because of the heat. I have high hopes that the cold front this weekend will kick off some rutting activity.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:35 AM

Have to say that I envy you Centex hunters, at least for the numbers of deer down there.

My dad used to lease down around Mason, and you would see deer everywhere. They were pretty small but still fun to see and kept things interesting. It was not uncommon to see 50 to 60 deer in a day.

I remember one hunt in particular. My brother and dad were walking and I was on stand for one of our deer drives. Not long into the drive a herd of deer came running through. I' m not exaggerating in saying that there were at least 40 deer.

Anyway, they came by so quickly and in such numbers that I did not get off a shot. When my dad and brother showed up, I asked if they had seen the deer and they said they just seen a few. I was set up on a long ridge and was pretty sure the deer were further down the ridge so my dad and brother circled around to try get ahead of them. I set up basically where they had started the drive overlooing a pretty good sized ravine.

Pretty soon, I started seeing deer on the other side and knew the herd was coming back. As deer started pouring towards me, I spotted a group of 8 bucks, all of which were 8 pointers. I didn' t know which one to shoot at! I finally settled on the one with the tallest tines passing up a couple with wider spreads. It was my best deer to that date and I was one happy kid.

Beautiful country down there. Hard to beat for camping as far as Texas goes. Pretty good BBQ, too.

Good luck to everyone!
Old 11-04-2003, 12:31 PM

Have you ever eaten at Cooper' s in Llano? That is some good stuff!! It is worth the trip just to eat there.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:35 PM

Ate there about a year and half ago. It was incredible. Grew up eating at the one in Mason - it was always something to look forward to during a slow, cold morning hunt.

Where do you hunt and how' s the action? Also, remind me where Big Sandy is again.

Quick Reply: TX Hunters: Who Scored and Where and Rut Activity?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.