Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shot a dear yesterday evening... >

Shot a dear yesterday evening...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot a dear yesterday evening...

Old 11-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Spike

Default Shot a dear yesterday evening...

Shot at 430. Found it today at 1pm. Got down into the 20’s here last night. Mid 40’s today. I gut it, hung it and spread the chest cavity. Didn’t smell any worse than your standard rutting buck. Am I ok eating this thing? Hate to throw it out but also don’t want to serve my family something that might hurt them.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

I would eat it. It was cool enough. As long as there was no extra odor or strange colors.

-Jake
Old 11-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I say your fine
Old 11-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

Gut it and open it up. Skin it and get it cooling soon as you can.

You may loose some parts but you can tell what has gone bad. It will be obvious as you butcher it. Just toss what ever is bad in trash bag and use it up as dog food. What is good is still good, just get it wrapped and in the freezer.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

The only deer I ever lost was a found the next day. I could tell by the smell it wasn't quite normal and still butchered it. After a couple of meals I threw it out. So my advice is try it and you will know.