Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where do I hunt?

Old 10-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Spike

Default Where do I hunt?

Hello am new here.! How’s everyone doing? I have a question I’ve got some land like 8 Acres and I don’t know where to hunt on it there’s a big corn field up above my house and all a long this cornfield is oak lots of acorns. Can’t hunt field it’s not mine my property line meets it. Behind my house to the left is thick to right is thick bottom of thick is sort of Swampy with creek runs threw. I’ve gotten so crazy pictures of bucks I’ve take a few does bucks in the swampy part. These are some rubs I got this year same ones every year same way everything so am pretty sure same buck. I was looking at a spot today off corn field down over hill a yard or so oak behind me thick stuff on left and right side of me looking down in center of this opening what do u guys think or shoot me ideas am just lost anymore I’ve only hunted it a few years. But I know there’s some huge bucks running. Getting ready for gun season nov 19th live in West Virginia. I know it’s little late but late than never! Dang I can’t get rubs to upload 😕.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

You hunt the areas on your land that the deer are using, look for sign and the fresher the better.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You hunt the areas on your land that the deer are using, look for sign and the fresher the better.

itll be after rut so I shouldn’t hunt rubs scraps etc yeah? Try to look for some trails they run a lot?
Old 10-25-2018, 01:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

You hunt where the deer are. They will tell you the areas they use with trails. Try to find a spot where more than one trail trail intersect.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

also make sure there isn't any safety issue's with shooting and safe back drops
8 acres isn';t a lot of land in the big picture, a rifle bullet can travel wall past it!
its impossible for us to tell you where to hunt on your land , as we are not there to see it?

best suggestions for a PLACE to hunt on your property will; be where it is SAFE to do so, and where deer are in shooting/legal hunting hours, and that you can get into and out of without being seen!

a LOT of times having a tree stand helps in many ways, , 1 gets you out of line of sight (SOME WHAT over the yrs deer have learned to look up) 2 it will help at times make shooting a LITTLE safer as it has you aiming downwards some what!
3 gives you an advantage at times on being able to see farther, giving you more time to get ready when deer are coming your way!
but like any hunting tool, you need to be safe in using them!
Old 10-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Spike

See if you can pinch them coming and or going from that corn field
Old 10-27-2018, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

deer usually dont bed down where they feed, so you might look to see where they are traveling. to and from the feeding and bedding area.you will want to set up between those two areas.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

find where they feed & find the bedding area & & learn the wind direction &you're do good. don't let them wind you . try using a blind or treestand
Old 10-28-2018, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like the guys said either feeding or on the way from food to bed (mornings) or from bed to food (evenings). I've never had much luck trying to sneak up on a sleeping Deer, they usually have a back way out and sleep with one eye open. But you can walk likely places, brush or a hedgerow, and spot the grass or weeds matted down. Just don't get too close and spook them off with your smell, I usually figure thirty yards is close enough. When I scout a bedding area I usually wait a few days before I show up in the area again. You don't want to spook them off their routine.
Always look behind what you are shooting at. I get tunnel vision and I imagine other people do also. I have to force myself to look behind what I'm shooting at, the bullet can go right on through a Deer. I got shocked out of my complacency early one evening when I scoped a nice Buck, he took another step and I was looking right at some guys TV screen through some brush and trees a couple of hundred yards down the hill. I'm really glad I didn't pull the trigger.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

You might also consider asking the cornfield owner for permission to hunt. Worst he can do is say no and you're back where you started. If he says no, as long as he's not letting anybody else hunt the cornfield, you still have a good setup cause deer will come back through your property to bed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.