Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where do I hunt?

Old 10-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
You might also consider asking the cornfield owner for permission to hunt. Worst he can do is say no and you're back where you started. If he says no, as long as he's not letting anybody else hunt the cornfield, you still have a good setup cause deer will come back through your property to bed.
and while asking him for permission, its also a GOOD time to find out what they will or will NOT allow as to recovering anything that runs off onto there side of the fence
as legally in many states its ILLEGAL to trespass to recover a deer that was shot on your side but ran onto another's property
so keep this in mind when hunting smaller sections of land or near borders
if you shoot a deer and it runs onto another land owners land, and you DON"T have legal permission to go recover it, you could be in legal trouble if you do! and NO one wants to loose a deer this way period either

some times getting a warden involved can help but NOT always , so knowing before you need to know what will happen is always better route to go!
I personally have agreements with most bordering land owners where I hunt, that IF a deer crosses property line, I am to Notify them and then they have the option of saying they want to BE there to see or, just let me go get it(99.9% of the time they say just GO get it, as I have rather good relations with most bordering land owners)
but have had a few places where they out right refused to allow a recovery if one ever was needed!
so a heads up on this info too in case you didn;t think of it or know it!
Old 10-29-2018, 09:33 AM
Spike

It’s just such a tough spot because there’s 2 trails that I made they run all the time and bed down in thick stuff in between them trails prob about 600 yards between both trails. They are browsering on the greens in the thick stuff we’re they bed and the acorns around the corn field. They don’t eat nothing in field as it’s not had nothing in it a few years just some grass and stuff they cut. My property line meets my dads uncles land on other side of thick stuff about 50 yards on other side that I can’t hunt because he’s a dick sorry for language. I’ve been trying to learn them few years now only thing I can think is they are eating acorns from oaks than going drinking at creek down below and bedding in thick stuff I’m afraid of getting to close but they run edge of field around big circle because it’s easy access for them and they browse as they go. I got a tree stand Down by creek in a big pine never see nothing down there always over in that thick stuff and up on field line think my stand is to far down in was bad placement. Want to fix that tho with a blind to tuck in somewhere have u guys ever been in this spot? What do u do? Give a go or pull out?

Last edited by Johnbuck; 10-29-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
and while asking him for permission, its also a GOOD time to find out what they will or will NOT allow as to recovering anything that runs off onto there side of the fence
as legally in many states its ILLEGAL to trespass to recover a deer that was shot on your side but ran onto another's property
so keep this in mind when hunting smaller sections of land or near borders
if you shoot a deer and it runs onto another land owners land, and you DON"T have legal permission to go recover it, you could be in legal trouble if you do! and NO one wants to loose a deer this way period either

some times getting a warden involved can help but NOT always , so knowing before you need to know what will happen is always better route to go!
I personally have agreements with most bordering land owners where I hunt, that IF a deer crosses property line, I am to Notify them and then they have the option of saying they want to BE there to see or, just let me go get it(99.9% of the time they say just GO get it, as I have rather good relations with most bordering land owners)
but have had a few places where they out right refused to allow a recovery if one ever was needed!
so a heads up on this info too in case you didn;t think of it or know it!

i can go get the deer if it runs over but can’t hunt over there. So not to concerned with that. And am not near any houses but mine not worried about shorting anything but my deer lol. I’d never hunt were id thought I was going to shoot someone or a house so on 😄.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Since you own the land, put up a couple of game cameras. Then you'll know for sure.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

So any updates from the OP? You should be hunting already.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

If they cut the grass there will be green grass growing and the deer will still be eating it. For as far as the rut here the main rut takes place around the 14th. However they will be rutting later in the month. That is exactly why you have early fawns and late fawns. It is not uncommon to see a buck traveling with a doe the week after Thanksgiving here during our black powder season.. But for now I would be watching and waiting near the acorns. After a light rain the deer will bed in the hardwoods early in the day.. Good Luck to you..
Old 11-05-2018, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

Hunt where the deer are. You can probably see everything on 8 acres if you stand on a chair.