Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
hunter looking to buy first new rifle/scope >

hunter looking to buy first new rifle/scope

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunter looking to buy first new rifle/scope

Old 01-31-2018, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my .02 and it won't take long.
I hunt NH and have been for many, many years. (I was born when Truman was President). And, I have shot my share of whitetails.

I hunt the NH Muzzleloader Season and I use my 50 cal TC. When rifle season opens, depending on the areas I plan to hunt, I use either my Browning Bolt action 30-06 or my Ruger .44 mag carbine. And that's it.
All have scopes that cost under $200.
I also hunt thick, nasty swamps or hardwood ridges (I love edges) and I have never shot a deer over 70 yds away, and that was a few years back during Muzzleloader Season.

Not to sound cocky but most of my deer have been taken at 20-30 yds no matter what I have in my hand and almost all never take another step. A quick, clean kill is what I strive for.

It ain't rocker science but you simply have to be comfortable with what you're shooting and also have a high degree of dependability.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.

Last edited by Jimmy S; 01-31-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:06 PM
Spike

Yes, that's along the lines of what I was thinking, Jimmy S. I've never taken a shot at 100 yards, never mind 200 yards. I was actually considering a .44 mag carbine or lever gun, but I decided on the .450 Marlin BLR based on advice I got. I can always go with the factory (hot) .450 Marlin loads if I want to hunt elk, moose, or bear in the future.

As for the the price/quality of gear, that is a debate that will rage on for eternity, so I'll just let it rage on. Some folks think it's a waste to spend more than $200 on a scope, and yet other folks say you should spend more on the scope than the rifle. Both folks probably kill deer.

I'm leaning toward buying the best I can, not because I think it will magically make me a better hunter, but rather because this hunting rig is a special gift to myself. And I do buy the argument that higher-quality glass is light years better than cheaper glass due to better performance in low-light situations, greater durability, more accurate and dependable adjustments, keeping zero, etc.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

the 450 marlin BLR is a very good quality rifle,

with good ammo 1.5" 3 shot, 100 yard groups are very common of a solid bench rest,
I think you grow to really appreciate over time, especially if matched to decent optics
find a load your rifle likes.
it will hammer any deer or elk inside 250 yards with good ammo and decent shot placement,
obviously youll want to practice shooting from field positions

you simply sight in, off the bench at 100 yards, put the scope cross hair centered ,
(at 100 yards off the bench) on the yellow dot,
and have all the shots print over the smaller red dot,
SO THAT when you get out in the field,put the scope cross hair centered where the light green dot is on the deer or elk, diagram above,
it will produce a fatal wound out a bit past 250 yards,(well past any range youll need so no range calc required if you can see clearly at low optic power, )
you sure don,t have to use this method or even agree but I can assure you its resulted in a bunch of dead, deer or elk
the vital organs or most effective shot placement is about an 8"-to-10" up, from lower chest, line, just behind the front leg and about mid chest ideally in a circle in the chest where the projectile will destroy the heart and lungs, that .458 caliber slug is already as big as several smaller caliber rifle bullets typically expand too before it expands so it devastates deer and its very lethal on elk with good shot placement.

btw theres no comparison between how effective a 44 mag carbine and a 450 marlin are, on rapidly putting down big game
both are lethal in skilled hands but lets compare the two,

I've loaded my BLR with Remington 405 grain bullets over 50 grains of IMR 3031 roughly 1870 fps =3079 ft lbs(best under 250-300 yards)
you can calculate energy easily
bullet weight in grains x velocity x velocity /450240= energy

I load my marlin 44 mag carbine with a 300 hard cast over 20 grains of h110. roughly 1450 fps = 1400 ft lbs (best under 80-120 yards)
the 450 marlin caliber easily has a 100-150 yard longer effective range

Last edited by hardcastonly; 01-31-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Spike

I entered the data for the handloads I'm having made. As you can see, this load is probably good out to 150 yards with little problem. 175 to 200 yards would require practice and a pretty good holdover. Anything past that, I wouldn't even take the shot (22 inch drop at 225 yards!). But then again, I've never shot a deer at 100 yards, never mind 200. And the 300gr InterLock bullet should expand and push right through a broadside shot while still holding together.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:42 AM
Spike

Nossler M48 Liberty. One of the best, as for me. Using this rifle for a year - it's perfect.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:18 AM
Spike

Well, we're getting close! I've got less than 2 weeks before I catch a plane out of this **** hole and back home! My rifle and scope are both with my FFL right now. I decided to pair the BLR with a Trijicon AccuPower 1-4x24 scope with green BDC reticle. We've decided to opt for the Talley mounts that are specifically made for the BLR. FFL sent me a pic last night of the scope and gun.

Here are the Talleys:

Old 10-31-2018, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you stuck with the thread and posted an update. Seems a lot of new members post once or a few times and take off. Good luck while hunting !!
Old 10-31-2018, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

That's going to be a fine rifle. Hoping to see some hunting pictures of it later this fall.

-Jake
Old 10-31-2018, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

yes once you get that rifle correctly sighted in, (Id suggest at least a couple inches high at 100 yards to make hits at unknown ranges easier)
I think youll find youve got a very good rifle combo

what city will you be located near in the states?
I noticed you mentioned VT NH and VA

BTW PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW THE RIFLE SHOOTS FOR YOU!

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html

http://www.targetz.com/targets01.htm

http://mytargets.com/

http://www.targetprinter.com/

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=2370

http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10064.pdf

Last edited by hardcastonly; 10-31-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

Based on your needs, all you need is a decent 308 with a 22" barrel. Put a lower power scope on it. And if you ever need to go longer get a higher power scope. Done.

a 308 will take any animal in the lower 48. Bullet are cheap and everywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.