HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hunter looking to buy first new rifle/scope
Old 01-31-2018, 12:06 PM
MG1911
Spike

Yes, that's along the lines of what I was thinking, Jimmy S. I've never taken a shot at 100 yards, never mind 200 yards. I was actually considering a .44 mag carbine or lever gun, but I decided on the .450 Marlin BLR based on advice I got. I can always go with the factory (hot) .450 Marlin loads if I want to hunt elk, moose, or bear in the future.

As for the the price/quality of gear, that is a debate that will rage on for eternity, so I'll just let it rage on. Some folks think it's a waste to spend more than $200 on a scope, and yet other folks say you should spend more on the scope than the rifle. Both folks probably kill deer.

I'm leaning toward buying the best I can, not because I think it will magically make me a better hunter, but rather because this hunting rig is a special gift to myself. And I do buy the argument that higher-quality glass is light years better than cheaper glass due to better performance in low-light situations, greater durability, more accurate and dependable adjustments, keeping zero, etc.