Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Winter's Meat 2017

Old 12-31-2017, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice fat doe.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
... No such thing as overkill!...
My taxidermist would probably disagree with you like:
- the Wolverine that I shot with my .257 Ackley and a 117 grain Sierra GameKing
- or the Steenbok that I shot with my .375 RUM and a 270 grain TSX
- or the Jackal that I shot with my .375 RUM and a 270 grain TSX
- or the Klipspringer that I shot at 310 yards with a 168 grain TSX from my .300 Weatherby

Or, not that I was thinking about mounting them, but one time when I was antelope hunting in eastern Montana and I came across 3 prairie dogs standing in a row so I just had to try the shot. The 117 grain Sierra just about vaporized the first two dogs then cut the third one in half.

Yes there is only one degree of dead, but there are many degrees of bullet damage.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes there is only one degree of dead, but there are many degrees of bullet damage.
All the rounds and loads you mentioned are high velocity rounds. My 9.3 isn't and you can eat right up to the bullet hole.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
All the rounds and loads you mentioned are high velocity rounds. My 9.3 isn't and you can eat right up to the bullet hole.
Yep

O'Connor liked small fast bullets, Keith liked big slow bullets, Ackley liked fast bullets. When I started hunting and reloading I became a bigger fan of Jack and P.O. than of Elmer.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by buffybr
Yep

O'Connor liked small fast bullets, Keith liked big slow bullets, Ackley liked fast bullets. When I started hunting and reloading I became a bigger fan of Jack and P.O. than of Elmer.
I'm just the opposite. I got to where I like a slow, heavy for caliber bullet that plows right through. I grew up shooting a 7mm Mag and saw a lot of velocity damaged meat get tossed to the dogs. On this doe I had less than a pound (one handful) of bullet damage I had to toss. Haven't used my 7mm in years. On my 375 H&H I only load 300 gr bullets and load them to the original velocity of 2400 fps. I've never recovered a bullet they just punch straight through and there is virtually no blood shot meat or jellied tissue.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats Flags! Despite not having my own place to hunt this season, with family in Arkansas, and friends here in Texas, I filled the freezer too! Two dropped on the spot and the other two didn't make 20 yards! My 100 gr. Noslers, hand-loaded in 6MM Rem. did do a little more damage than I like! By next season, I'll have my '99 in .300 Savage will be set up with good loads and will be my go-to gun/cartridge! (I just didn't have the time to get it set up to my confidence level this past season!)