Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Illinois Public Land Hunts

Old 12-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Spike

Default Illinois Public Land Hunts

Hello all,

New Hunter hear, looking for prime public hunting land in Illinois. I have never been hunting before nor have I grown up in a family familiar with hunting. I am extremely interested in giving it a go. But I am green as green can be. I have no supplies or essential ls or anything. I looking forward to making a few investments though. But for now, I am just looking for anywhere to hunt.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check it out:

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting...tingareas.aspx
Old 12-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Spike

What type of game are you interested in hunting? What type of weapon are you interested in using? Northern Illinois public land gets really crowded on the weekends, but people do make successful harvests. I would say be prepared for a mental grind, on public land, it can be frustrating. Have fun and be safe.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Conquistador
What type of game are you interested in hunting? What type of weapon are you interested in using? Northern Illinois public land gets really crowded on the weekends, but people do make successful harvests. I would say be prepared for a mental grind, on public land, it can be frustrating. Have fun and be safe.
I'd be using a rifle to hunt deer.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:40 AM
Spike

Ok, well when it comes to public land firearm deer hunting in Illinois, you either have to to apply for site specific permit or hope to get in on standby for each day. Check the dnr site it will give you a list of all sites open to hunting. Then check the hunter fact sheet for each sites specific regulations. Make sure you get in the first firearm lottery, there's no guarantee you'll pull a tag either, Illinois is much more bow friendly.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You won't be legally using a rifle to hunt deer in Illinois. Start reading the Illinois Department of Natural Resources website especially the regulations. View the various state parks near you and their services. Maybe the park superintendent will provide guidance. I suggest you don't try hunting by yourself as you are admittedly clueless. Pay an outfitter for a fully guided hunt to get the feel for things.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rogerstv
You won't be legally using a rifle to hunt deer in Illinois. Start reading the Illinois Department of Natural Resources website especially the regulations. View the various state parks near you and their services. Maybe the park superintendent will provide guidance. I suggest you don't try hunting by yourself as you are admittedly clueless. Pay an outfitter for a fully guided hunt to get the feel for things.
Thanks for the response. And you're right, I am 100% clueless. Which is exactly why I came to this website. Any information I can get will go a long way. Again, I appreciate you taking the time