Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

got a ??

Old 10-30-2003, 06:21 PM

Default got a ??

Do u think i should pass on the doe an wait for a buck??
Old 10-30-2003, 07:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: got a ??

That depends on the ratios in your area .
Passing on a doe when there are too many deer for the habitat to support might be viewed as irresponsible game management . There' s certainly nothing wrong with taking a good buck , but you should also consider the impact of the does .

Consult your state' s Dept. of Natural Resources website , most of them have a contact link so that you can ask the wildlife biologists what they feel is best for the habitat as well as the resource itself . They know far more about your state and individual area than anyone else , and would be in a better position to give you the right answer .

Think past the shot , you' ll be hunting in the future too . Do what' s best for your hunting 10 years from now , and the hunting 10 years from now will be fabulous .
Old 10-30-2003, 09:45 PM

At the beginning of the season, I' ll take the first young slick-head that comes within reach. That' s my meat deer. I prefer one that will dress out at about 75-80 lbs. Yum!

Then I spend the rest of the year looking for " the one"

If you got a doe tag, use it. You' ll probably benifit the herd as well. Especially if there' s a hard winter coming.

Good luck!
Old 10-31-2003, 12:10 AM

i agree with TracyM if you have a doe tag fill ' er up! if you only got one tag and you are after a nicer rack, then you should wait. if you only have one tag, you might be able to get a bonus permit at your local retailer.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Your choice completely
Old 10-31-2003, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not sure where you are at, but in Va. we have a ton of doe and I will take a doe over a buck any day unless the buck is a nice one or I am bowhunting, then I will take almost any buck because I have yet to kill a buck with a bow. I have gun hunted for 40 years, but this will only be my 4th with a bow.