Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The slug gun blues!

Old 11-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Stop pulling down on the forearm. Just hold it and REST the forearm, not the barrel, on the sand bag.

Don't use over a 9 power scope at most, 4 power is plenty. This eliminates parallax as a possibility.

Good chance you are flinching.

I'd take everything between the scope and the barrel apart, clean it, check for loose stuff during disassembly. Put it back together and scratch witness marks when assembled to check for any movement when you are shooting it. Make sure it's all tight going back together.

Shouldn't take more than a shot or two to get it back on target. It should be close already UNLESS something was out of kilter before you took it apart. In that case it should improve the situation.

I shot a lot of different slugs through my 870 with the cantilever mount and scope. I don't remember what was the exactly best ever result but I remember the plain old Winchester 1oz sabot was close enough to argue over and they had them in every store. That's what I hunt with in it. I just shoot up the odds and ends I have left as a first test shot to see if it's close when I'm suspicious, like if it gets bumped a little or the first test shot of the year and such. Winchesters are the money shot set up, for me at least.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My advice is just get you a savage 220
Old 11-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
Get a Savage 220 and try a bolt action slugger.
This doesn't address his question at all.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jack Ryan
Stop pulling down on the forearm. Just hold it and REST the forearm, not the barrel, on the sand bag.
If I don't hold the front down it lifts off the sand bags and my groups string up and down horribly. Instead of having big round groups I get big oval groups. But I'll try this again.

Don't use over a 9 power scope at most, 4 power is plenty. This eliminates parallax as a possibility.
I have Leupolds on both. A 2-7x33 in the 20 ga. and a 3-9x40 on the 12 ga. Parallax is set at 75 yds.

Good chance you are flinching.
I don't think I'm flinching. I load my rounds one at the time. Every once in a while I'll have my son either load a round or close the bolt on an empty chamber so I can't see and don't know what he did. Then he'll watch to see if I flinch or not if he didn't load a round. He says I'm not.

I'd take everything between the scope and the barrel apart, clean it, check for loose stuff during disassembly. Put it back together and scratch witness marks when assembled to check for any movement when you are shooting it. Make sure it's all tight going back together.
This has been done numerous times. Both scopes have been sent back. Both barrels have been sent back. Scope rings have been marked to see if there was any movement.

Thanks, NYH.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Originally Posted by rockport
My advice is just get you a savage 220
This doesn't address his question at all.
I appreciate everyone's input and advise. My biggest problem was as usual I was busy getting ready for winter (plow trucks, staking driveways ect.) and started getting my slug guns ready late as usual. Next year I'm going to start in the summer.

That being said, I'm not getting another slug gun or a muzzleloader (not my thing). Maybe a 1/4 of my deer hunting is in our shotgun area. I know these 1187's are capable of 2-3" groups at 100 yds. I guess I'll just have to keep plugging away.

Again, I appreciate everyone help!

NYH.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

As I have already stated, get a better mount than the cantilever mount.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by New York Hunter
I appreciate everyone's input and advise. My biggest problem was as usual I was busy getting ready for winter (plow trucks, staking driveways ect.) and started getting my slug guns ready late as usual. Next year I'm going to start in the summer.

That being said, I'm not getting another slug gun or a muzzleloader (not my thing). Maybe a 1/4 of my deer hunting is in our shotgun area. I know these 1187's are capable of 2-3" groups at 100 yds. I guess I'll just have to keep plugging away.

Again, I appreciate everyone help!

NYH.
I suggested the 220 because at the price of these slugs it don't take long for buying a 220 to become cheaper than fighting with a shotgun.

I don't know if you mean you are literally pulling on the gun when you shoot or just guiding it but if you are pulling on it try more just guiding it straight back.

Other than that I think you are gonna have to get a proven shooter to shoot the guns and confirm its you and not the guns..Some of them really just don't shoot very good and a lot of them are really picky on which slugs they want.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
As I have already stated, get a better mount than the cantilever mount.
What better mount is there for an 1187?
Old 11-29-2017, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

My opinion (been known to be wrong) is that you should not hold the forearm down. I was told a long time ago that holding it down, or vicing it to sight it in is not good. It would seem to be really accurate but when you are hunting it is going to raise up and be way different then if it was held down at the range. If it is grouping bad at the range it's not because of the gun jumping while being shot. Reason I ever even thought about is was years ago a guy recommended I use gun vice to clamp the gun down and then it can be ready to hunt in 2 shots. I asked around and that's not the best way, maybe to get it close.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
What better mount is there for an 1187?
There is a guy that actually makes a mount that is mounted on top. You send him the receiver and he drills, taps and installs it. I have a link to him somewhere in my records. It is a much better option that the cantilever.

I chose to go with the HR Ultra-light single shot when I need a slug gun. Never regretted it but sold it as soon as I left the East coast since I will never live where shotguns are req'd for deer again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.