Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Too late for Estrous?

Old 11-18-2017, 11:20 PM
Spike

Default Too late for Estrous?

ill be hunting the 23-25 in NW Arkansas. They predicted that peak rut would occur between the 15-19, but nobody is really sure if it has happened because of the very mild weather. Would the 23-25th be too late for estrous, or is it that sweet spot where the desperate bucks look for leftover does?
Old 11-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Spike

The rut has nothing to do with warm or cold weather. It has to do with photo duration (amount of sunlight) and is consistent regionally every year. While warm weather may stifle deer movement during the warmth of the day, the rut is still happening. As for your question...all does do not come in at once and there are 2nd (killed a nice 8 on December 27th as he was trying to mate w a doe) and even (I’ve read) read 3rd ruts as younger deer come into heat so I’d say you have nothing to lose.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Everyone you ask has a different opinion.
To me the rut is
1. Pre rut- making scrapes and checking scrapes for hot does . ( Cruising phase)

2. Bucks are locked up with a hot doe waiting for her to come into estrous.( chasing phase)

3. Post rut- bucks are checking scrapes and looking for another hot doe, maybe 2nd estrous. (Cruising phase again)

All are good times to be in the woods and up our chances of catching a buck in daylight hours, not pay attention to what is going on around him.

As far as scents go, same thing, lots of opinions. I have only used Buck Bomb with success. Meaning I killed a deer while using it. Did it help bring the deer in? I will never know, just know it did not hurt.
My concern is whats in the can or bottle? Is it 1 doe or multiple? Is it real doe urine or a chemical? Is it proghorn, sheep, goat, mule deer, Kansas or Canada.... Is it new or old.
With out knowing for 100% sure what you are using, it is trial and error.

For me it is more to help hide my scent.