Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
20 Gauge vs Muzzloader for new hunter >

20 Gauge vs Muzzloader for new hunter

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

20 Gauge vs Muzzloader for new hunter

Old 09-23-2017, 08:12 AM
Spike

Default 20 Gauge vs Muzzloader for new hunter

Was hoping to get some opinions on this -

My fiance is going to be joining me in the woods this year for MN firearm season, which I am super excited about. I want to make sure she enjoys the experience, has the best chance for success, and that the trip fosters future hunting enthusiasm.

I am torn as to what to outfit her with as far as a firearm to best manage recoil and still be effective. She has shot guns before but hasn't in some time. I can either have her take a 20 gauge shotgun with some managed recoil slugs. Or I also have a .50 caliber CVA Wolf muzzleloader that I could simply run 50 grains of powder in instead of the usual 100 that I normally hunt with.

We will probably be taking shots inside 50 yards from inside a blind. I know that the muzzleloader would limit her to only 1 shot, but I am also reasonably confident that she probably won't be taking a follow up shot even if she used the shotgun anyway. I don't really expect a novice shooter to be pumping in another round and going Rambo on a running deer through the woods. I also know that the muzzleloader will be more accurate, although at 50 yards or less the difference is probably minimal.

While I will certainly have her shoot both at the range and see what she likes, I was hoping that some of you folks might have some reasoned opinions one way or the other

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:37 AM
Spike

In my opinion I would go with the muzzleloader. A muzzle loader is probably more accurate, huge selection of different bullets to use depending on your needs, you can use loose powder to work up a load that is very recoil friendly and deadly on deer. I myself have killed a lot of deer with a 240gr XTP bullet and 80 grains of powder. The recoil is about nonexistent and many of the deer have dropped on the spot. You can even drop down to a 200 gr bullet and still have plenty of power for a deer. That being said I have very little experience with slug guns.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Dakotabowhunter
In my opinion I would go with the muzzleloader. A muzzle loader is probably more accurate, huge selection of different bullets to use depending on your needs, you can use loose powder to work up a load that is very recoil friendly and deadly on deer. I myself have killed a lot of deer with a 240gr XTP bullet and 80 grains of powder. The recoil is about nonexistent and many of the deer have dropped on the spot. You can even drop down to a 200 gr bullet and still have plenty of power for a deer. That being said I have very little experience with slug guns.
One thing that does swing me towards the slug gun is that it has a youth stock on it, which will fit her better. She is 5'8" so I don't think the muzzleloader would be difficult to manage though.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:21 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Success at hunting is not the kill only part of it.
Make it fun.
That being said.

Shotgun. Better suited if a follow up shot is needed.
At your published range I have a youth 20 Ga. With a turkey pro scope. The accuracy is impeccable.

I'm not s huge fan of a reduced powder load in that 50 and would make I had the ballistics correct so id have enough knock down power. That I can't quote maybe others can.

JW
Old 09-23-2017, 06:31 PM
Spike

I'd put my money on that Wolf in a heartbeat over the 20. That 240 grain in an XTP or a deepcurl being hustled along by 80 grains of T7 or 209 powder would be more than enough inside the 50 yards you mention and the recoil would be pretty mild.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Not much information on the shot gun so think you have made up you mind before posting this.

One thiung I would make real sure of is if the wolf is going to like the 50gr load of powder. I think you will have a problem there and need to step it up to 75 or 80 gr's even.

Now if the shot gun had threaded interchangeble choke tube barrel and was a pump gun I would go with that with a rifled choke and rifled slugs.

I use a 20 ga Reminton slugger in 20ga in SE Michigan. Have cane to like it as well as any high calber rifle I use in the UP.

I also own Muzzle loaders and find they are fussy with the amount of powder and projectile used.
Yes a slug gun can be fussy but not nearly so bad.

Al
Old 09-24-2017, 04:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Not much information on the shot gun so think you have made up you mind before posting this.

One thiung I would make real sure of is if the wolf is going to like the 50gr load of powder. I think you will have a problem there and need to step it up to 75 or 80 gr's even.

Now if the shot gun had threaded interchangeble choke tube barrel and was a pump gun I would go with that with a rifled choke and rifled slugs.

I use a 20 ga Reminton slugger in 20ga in SE Michigan. Have cane to like it as well as any high calber rifle I use in the UP.

I also own Muzzle loaders and find they are fussy with the amount of powder and projectile used.
Yes a slug gun can be fussy but not nearly so bad.

Al
Sorry should have included more on the slug gun.

It's a Remington 870 with a smooth bore slug barrel and fiber optic sights. I used it for years with a lot of success. I generally shoot Federal TruBall slugs out of it but would probably have to look elsewhere for managed recoil as I don't think Federal makes them in that model.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to move away from ballistics, as either gun can handle the parameters you've mentioned and it's assumed she will initially take only one shot. Just as important in this situation is which gun fits her body type better, weight of trigger pull and possibly the sound of muzzleblast- again assuming she tolerates the felt recoil of both guns. The right choice will be more clear at range time.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 09-24-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

CVA sells a youth stock for the Wolf
http://shop.cva.com/pc_product_detai...136C621551B555

200gr or 225gr Barnes XPB makes a killer reduced load bullet. They are made for 45colt and 44. Same basic design as the Expander MZ line of bullets. Lehigh Defense has a new 230gr that looks extremely good too.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-24-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:47 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. I do appreciate the insight