Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2017-2018 Picture Post

Old 07-20-2018, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I only hunted meat last year. Since I still had a lot of steaks and roasts in the freezer I needed one deer for burger.

This one filled the freezer and was the 92nd deer I have taken on license.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Another small Ontario Whitetail
Attached Thumbnails 2017-2018 Picture Post-img_20171208_182852817.jpg  
Old 10-14-2018, 11:57 AM
Spike

Nice Deer!
Old 10-16-2018, 09:55 AM
Spike

That is a nice small deer . LOL
Old 10-24-2018, 07:16 AM
Spike

my first buck, taken in december of ‘17
Attached Thumbnails 2017-2018 Picture Post-dc7f8bbb-778f-4ba3-8509-b6e85c926a66.jpeg  
Old 10-29-2018, 09:12 AM
Spike

Smile Unicorn Buck

Awesome buck my husband killed in Coweta County!
Attached Thumbnails 2017-2018 Picture Post-whitetail-10-24-2018.jpg   2017-2018 Picture Post-buck-10-24-2018.jpg  
Old 12-22-2018, 01:02 AM
Spike

Default First Hunt

Just got my license this year, finally. Wish I had not put it off for so long. It was an amazing experience. Not just the kill but the hunt and the gathering of friends and family afterward. Plus the meat! Havent had fresh venison in years! Delicious!

November 15 2018. Saskachewan

Got him in my third morning out. I havent shot high power weapons in years and I am amazed I even got anything. I had taken shots at 4 other animals and completely missed. One little buck I even shot at 5 times. The rut sure makes them goofy. The gun I was using was pretty much new and only the third time I had fired it (only been fired to sight in and for me to practice which really only gave me a flinch. My first shot at the target was in the money but the rest were all over) and had a three bullet magazine. So this little buck, I shot at him three times while he was standing there. I was filling the clip and he went in the bushes. Then he decided to come back out and stare at us. Shot at him two more times before he decided to finally leave. I hope he lived the season because now I have an entire year to practice.

Anyway, the next morning I managed to get another shot off at that same buck but this time he left a lot faster. Just about a km away was my buck on the opposite section. He was in range, nose to the ground and broadside. First shot sounded different and we all just waited quietly as he walked across the field. My dad told me to take another shot but by this point I could barely see him. He was standing there looking at us but there was a slight rise between him and I. His form was also blended in with the trees and shadows. He was also around 50 yards out of my sighted range. So I aimed almost 2 feet over his back.

My dad said he dropped while my brother said he saw my bullet hit the hill. So after a bit of bickering we went out to were I 'thought' he had been standing. We couldn't find any blood or fresh tracks. So we reconvened and my dad said he never saw the buck jump the fence that I thought he had earlier. Changing our search area we moved to the fence and walked to a bush that was closer to were I shot and sure enough I found him.

Both my dad and brother were silent while I was laughing up a storm. I think they could hardly believe it and I dont blame them.

I am still confused as to what I hit that dropped him on the spot. When I gutted him later at our friends shed (which was less than 4 km away) I saw that I shot (which was the second shot) just between the spine and tenderloins. I didn't notice any damage to the spine but the aorta was definitely severed. Perhaps the spine got a nasty shock?

The first shot was liver. Considering now there was hardly an entrance or exit wound it was hard to believe how little of the liver was intact. Luckily I dont like liver. Though it still went to be leech bait.

I am just glad he died quickly and I didnt end up wounding anything!
Attached Thumbnails 2017-2018 Picture Post-resized_20181125_091908_3532.jpeg   2017-2018 Picture Post-20181222_031023.jpg  

Last edited by REXELICIOUS; 12-22-2018 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Adding year, date and zone