Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Safety rope

Old 06-25-2017, 10:18 AM
Spike

Default Safety rope

I see the videos of people using hunters safety system but how do you tie the rope at the top end of the tree using what knot and do you use the same knot at the bottom?
Old 06-25-2017, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

I conect mine around the tree with a sliding noose, and slide it up the tree as I go. I have to loosen it and tighten back down as I go, takes a little work but is very safe. Once I get to the top, I adjust it above my head and lock the stand in.
The most dangerous times in the stand is climing up and down. Some guys think it is to much of a pain, but well worth the extra work/time.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

A rope attached to the tree above your head in the stand with a Prusik knot on that rope attached to your safety vest with a short rope will allow you to climb and descend from your stand in safety. I would never use a rope the way the previous poster described. Having to move a rope up a tree trunk like a lineman climbs a pole is too much of a hassle and an invitation to fall.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't either Oldtimr, but maybe that's why he has that username from a deadly fall using that system and is now in his second life, LOL!
Old 06-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Spike

i understand the prusik knot but the knot to tie the main rope to the tree you know the one you tie the prusik knot to. The really long rope what kind of know is used
Old 06-25-2017, 05:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
A rope attached to the tree above your head in the stand with a Prusik knot on that rope attached to your safety vest with a short rope will allow you to climb and descend from your stand in safety. I would never use a rope the way the previous poster described. Having to move a rope up a tree trunk like a lineman climbs a pole is too much of a hassle and an invitation to fall.
Rope attached to the tree is the one in question
Old 06-25-2017, 06:25 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I'm a Hunter Ed Instructor.
The Lifeline rope safety system can be purchased from Hunter Safety Systems. At one end they have installed a loop that I run the free end of the rope through to lasso the tree. It will not slip once cinched tight.

Search in YouTube
How to install a hunter safety lifeline.
There is a You Tube video How to do it from the Hunter Safety Systems staff.

Dave....JW
Old 06-25-2017, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Once again wow. Jee I wonder why lineman would use it . Most knowledgeable climbers use the method of attaching a rope above your head and moving it up the tree as you climb and set your steps or move your climber. Once you get to the proper height if setting a permanent stand you just leave the rope and stay attached with safety rope and Prussic the rope at the top just form a loop in the working end using a figure of eight on a bite or such similar like a bowline.you make this around the standing part of the rope or pull the running end through the loop and around the tree. Snug it up and if using proper safety line it will stay tight. At the bottom you can leave loose or tie using any basic knot. You are right on born again.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Once again wow. Jee I wonder why lineman would use it . Most knowledgeable climbers use the method of attaching a rope above your head and moving it up the tree as you climb and set your steps or move your climber. Once you get to the proper height if setting a permanent stand you just leave the rope and stay attached with safety rope and Prussic the rope at the top just form a loop in the working end using a figure of eight on a bite or such similar like a bowline.you make this around the standing part of the rope or pull the running end through the loop and around the tree. Snug it up and if using proper safety line it will stay tight. At the bottom you can leave loose or tie using any basic knot. You are right on born again.
Maybe because they have big leather boots with climbing spikes built into the soles to dig into the poles and hunters don't---DUH!!!
Old 06-25-2017, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Also when u are moving up the rope make sure to keep the prussic high not low to reduce drop if you fall. You should always be tied in as bornagain states.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.