Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Safety rope

Old 06-25-2017, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Actually they use it in the event the spikes slip out. Duh
Old 06-25-2017, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Actually they use it in the event the spikes slip out. Duh
Anybody ever tell you you're full of baloney and appear to be spoiling for a fight and yet you claim others on here are bad---DUH!!! How about calling a truce and getting along on here!
Old 06-25-2017, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

I've been using the ascending/descending prusik knot for quite a few years now in my hang on stands. My climbers I usually use the attachment strap to the tree. To get the stationary rope in I have used a couple of different methods. One method that I usually use the most is tie some form of weight to one end of the rope and toss the rope over the selected branch. The weight will pull the rope back down to me. I then loop one end around the other to form a choker. Just pull it back tight up to the branch and there you go. The other method is climbing and tying it in for when there are too many branches in the way for a toss. When I do it that way I use a linemans rig to climb with. I also use an anchor eye bolt designed for dirt to tie off the bottom of the rope for the prusik system.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

If I was spoiling just for a fight I would have been on you way more. But in this case it's a safety issue and poor and potentially dangerous advise. As far as being full of baloney I was a fire department training captain for 8 years and trained both high and low angle rescue and cross trained with our local hydro lineman. I was using a safety line and prussic attachment well before they became the new way of hunter climbing safety aids.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

And to clarify one point, they don't have boots with spikes built in to the soles Topgun3006. They are a set of braces that you put on your legs with underhooks for your feet. Part of apprenticeship many years ago included working on a linemans crew for several months. Learned very well how to operate those rigs. But to be honest, a 250+ pound man putting his trust in a little 1.5 to 2" spike to hold his big butt up on that pole takes some intestinal fortitude.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by hunters_life
And to clarify one point, they don't have boots with spikes built in to the soles Topgun3006. They are a set of braces that you put on your legs with underhooks for your feet. Part of apprenticeship many years ago included working on a linemans crew for several months. Learned very well how to operate those rigs. But to be honest, a 250+ pound man putting his trust in a little 1.5 to 2" spike to hold his big butt up on that pole takes some intestinal fortitude.
So sue me, LOL! All I know is they have spikes and I've never been close enough to see that they are put on like you stated. Thanks for that information. As far as the other member still spouting baloney, I wish you would knock it off since you say I'm one that should leave because I'm running people off. Your attitude isn't so great itself to be telling others what to do, so again I would suggest we try to get along and enjoy this site.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:30 AM
Fork Horn

I have been using the method I mentioned for years. I hunt public land with a climbing stand, I never know if I will have to move my stand. ( someone beats me to the spot, or the weather...) so the attached safety climbing rope from the top of the tree will not work for me. I would have to climb the tree and undo it and then climb back down the tree.
I agree if you have a set location or lock on tree stands , that method would work best.
For that matter even a ladder stand, any time you are off the ground you should have a safety vest on.

Another very important part to this is, TAKE Your TIME! Guys get in a hurry and are rushing or decide to climb up or down without being attached to the tree, this is when most accidents happen.

This video shows the technique I use to climb the tree.
https://youtu.be/6ps8Q2EyWQk

Last edited by bornagain64; 06-26-2017 at 02:15 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Mr Duh! the rope loop only stops you from falling if you can keep you head and jam one or both climbing spurs into the wood as you try to lean back on the rope. I don't care how many fire companies you are affiliated with. Did you ever see anyone who had their spurs kick out and slid down the pole uncontrolled? I have, several, raw chest stomach and thighs. I worked for an electric company and had many linemen friends. There is a reason they now use bucket trucks when ever a pole is accessible to a a truck. If people want to use that method thinking it is really a safety measure, it is their backside not mine, but don't try to sell it as a good safety measure, because it isn't. While there is supposed to be a safety aspect to the rope, its biggest value is allowing a lineman to work with both hands while leaning back on the rope with his spurs dug in and it allows a lineman to climb by leaning back to pull out a spur and dig it in higher on the pole without slipping down the pole. Without the spurs the rope is just a rope.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-26-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Personally I like to copy the pole climbers, they do it day after day and work on some pretty bad days too. It is be safe our your life may a disaster.

These climbing spikes are not cheap either.

My brother thought climbing down Alum steps from his stand was OK with out a harness. Spend a bunch of time in Munson Medical Center TC Michigan with a broken back. Lucky he still is alive and not crippled.

Al
Old 06-26-2017, 04:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yooper, we aren't talking about using spurs and a rope, just a rope and a lock on stand. Big difference. I have seen tree trimmers using spurs however. Never the less, my point is a rope that is not attached to the tree is not really a safety rope when using a tree stand and if you fall, you won't have the line crew at the bottom of the tree to help you.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-26-2017 at 05:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.