Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Scopes on Muzzleloaders... For or Against? >

Scopes on Muzzleloaders... For or Against?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scopes on Muzzleloaders... For or Against?

Old 05-31-2017, 10:37 AM
Spike

Default Scopes on Muzzleloaders... For or Against?

Do you support the use of scopes on Muzzleloaders?

Minnesota's Gov. Mark Dayton signed several bills into law late Tuesday afternoon, including too allow the use of scopes on muzzleloaders here in Minnesota during the muzzleloader season. Other laws passed include an increase in license fees which will go into effect next March, and also approved blaze pink as a blaze orange substitute.

“I am pleased that an agreement was reached on this bill, since there were policy provisions in the original bill proposed by the Legislature that I found objectionable,” Dayton wrote. “I am also glad the Lessard-Sams (Outdoor Heritage) Council’s recommendations were restored. Thank you for your commitment to the many sportsmen and women, outdoor recreation enthusiasts, hunters, anglers, and everyone else committed to the enhancement of our state’s priceless outdoor heritage.”

People all across social media have been talking about it back and forth for several weeks already from both sides of the argument, but I’d really like to hear your thoughts. Are you for scopes on muzzleloader? or against?

Old 05-31-2017, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

It doesn't matter if I am for or against since it isn't my state. However, In PA during our flintlock only season it used to be only open sights could be used, then just before I retired in 07 they passed a reulation to allow peep sights. The next step would be scopes which I would strongly and vocally oppose. They have made too many concessions already to what is supposed to be a primitive firearm season. So far as inlines and didelock percussion, I have no opinion, they cannot be used in the flintlock season.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Doesn't matter to me. Got a 54 with open sights and got another one with a scope. Depends on the individual state on whether it is legal or not.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

If someone wants to use a scope and it's legal then rock on, if someone doesn't want to use a scope then don't use it. Pretty simple concept. No polling or debate needed.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a odd view I guess, if you want to hunt with a primitive weapon, shouldn;t you be limited to what it was?
and thus, NO scopes on flintlock and the like Muzzleloaders IMO

and maybe should be a different season for them as to IN lines, which as ARE more modern, that I think MOST game depts standards were when these seasons were started!
IN lines have come a LONG way from what a primitive muzzle loader once was!
from farther shooting, more powerful(more or less) and faster reloading!

STill a single shot YES(well most are) but its ability's are way different than what these seasons were when flintlock's were the expected gun of use in them!
MY 2 cents that's all!
Old 05-31-2017, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

mrbb, the problem is, inlines do not even come close to being a primitive weapon. They are cartridgeless centerfire rifles. Especially the ones that use smokless powder. They too were once not allowed in PA's muzzleloader season.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
mrbb, the problem is, inlines do not even come close to being a primitive weapon. They are cartridgeless centerfire rifles. Especially the ones that use smokless powder. They too were once not allowed in PA's muzzleloader season.
I think you took me wrong here, I am SAYING that to me, modern In lines are NOT primitive weapons, there totally different firearms, than a true muzzle loader ever was!

and agree there darn close to modern center fire rifles, minus the front loading still!

I have Both types, and can see the fun in them, but I won't call them the same class of weapon, and thus why I said, maybe should be a season for each>
BUT that gets us into the BOW< recurve, Compound and X bow arguments then doesn't it LOL
Old 05-31-2017, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I did not take you wrong, I agreed with you.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

I have 3 muzzleloading rifles.

A .45 cal Kentucky percussion long rifle that I built from a CVA kit and used it to kill my best mule deer buck in Colorado's first muzzleloader season.

A .54 cal percussion Hawken that I built from a Green River kit, and I used it to kill my American buffalo.

And a .50 cal Traditions inline topped with a 3-9x scope. So far it is bloodless.

My personal opinion is that primitive weapons seasons should be limited to primitive weapons. No inlines, no scopes, and only black powder or Pyrodex granular powder, no pellets. Like Oldtimer posted, modern muzzleloaders have evolved into cartridgeless centerfire rifles.

If you want to hunt in a primitive season, use a primitive weapon. There is nothing to stop you from using your hi tech inline muzzleloader in the regular rifle season.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

as a meat getting tool, put a scope on it. If you want to be traditional, like I do when I hunt PAs flintlock season, then the scope needs to stay home.
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.