Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new hunting gear help

Old 05-15-2017, 06:06 PM
Spike

Default new hunting gear help

hello to everyone here, im eric and after not being able to hunt anything for about 5 years due to personal reasons...im ready to kick some serious whitetail ass this fall. and if the cards fall just the right way, maybe even a big bear .
folks here is my ordeal, i have been outta the loop on archery, and firearms for quite a while, so i"m going to need some darn good advice on my selection of new DEATH tools, hehehe.
ok so here is some information on me, i am 5ft3 and a 150 lbs, took quit a bit of work to get that good weight gain on me.
my draw length (last time i had a compound bow) was like a 24 and a half inch draw length, (shooting 50 lbs draw weight).
i have never been able to shoot a heavy bow..(not poundage wise)
(but the weight of the bow itself)..i always tend to lean to the lightest bow i can get on account of my bad shoulder..
so i was thinking of either going the martin bow route, or...or the mathews route (im in love with that darn mathews jewl bow)
question is can i even get a hold of a mathews jewl now?..
my firearms choice will be a BROWNING X BOLT MEDALLION chambered in 270 with a leupold 4x12x40 rifleman scope to top it off with...dad wants me to pack a 45-70 govt (on account of bear hunting)..he had to shoot a monster black bear 5 times with a 303 british in order to keep from getting mauled in maine quite a few years ago. so he is woorried about my safty, i get that.
im not ashamed to say the 45-70 scares me due to the recoil.(at least im being honest)...i have already bought me a guide gear 15 foot ladderstand and 4 ratchet straps..and a good heavy chain and a big darn lock..
so in closing if any of you guys , or gals care to chip in your two cents worth...im ready to take any and all advice you care to give..
Old 05-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

You need to do an edit on your post. Calling hunting eqpt "death tools" tells me you're a troll or a rookie. Get serious and maybe some of us will help you. Until then, read a magazine on the topic.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Spike

are you kidding me buddy? i have been hunting since i was a child and we all around here call our rifles and crossbows and compound bows death tools because thats what the hell they are...DEATH TOOLS!..they deliver death!...stop being such a snowflake..geez!..oh gee im sorry did i hurt someones feelings? if you folks on here are that darn offended by such a simple couple of words maybe i came to the forum of hurt feeling"s and snowflakes instead of a HUNTING and KILLING FORUM
if its thats big of a deal maybe you sir should be on a animal rights group forum instead of a hunting and killing forum..

Last edited by lovetohunt23; 05-15-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by lovetohunt23
are you kidding me buddy?
Yes I am. Anti hunters lurk on forums like this and use our own words against us. Did you ever stop to think about that? Probably not. It's about showing respect for the sport and the game.

And if you think I'm a "snowflake," I served 25+ years on active duty and made 9 combat deployments to the Middle East before I retired. I've also hunted 13 states, 2 Canadian provinces and have made 5 trips to Africa. I've successfully hunted 68 species of game. I'm pretty sure I've got a lot more experience than you and I know for a fact that I'll get more respect from the other members just today than you will in 6 months with that sort of flippant response.

I suggest you grow up. With that I'll sit back and see what the others have to say to you. My bet is they back me and not you.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well congrats on getting back in the woods!

Your .270 will be plenty of gun for a bear; it's better to make a good shot with a gun you're not scared of than to risk a bad one with a gun that you're scared of. In your case what matters is not the caliber, but the bullet selection. I don't know what your old man was shooting out of his .303, but if he was using military surplus ammunition, then he was using a bullet that does not expand and therefore was not going to bring good results. You want something that'll mushroom well while penetrating deep. I would personally go with a good soft point bullet like a Federal Powershok (what I use in my .308---they're pretty fast!) or a Remington Core-Lokt (whichever shoots better out of your rifle). If you prefer to use a more expensive bonded bullet like a Hornady Interbond or Nosler Accubond, knock yourself out---whatever your rifle likes. I would be surprised if you don't get an entrance and exit wound out of both. I just simply say not to use a bullet designed for maximum expansion like the Hornady SST; you risk not getting an exit wound in this case, making any tracking difficult.

Also, keep in mind bear anatomy is different than whitetail anatomy, so a good aim point on a whitetail may be terrible placement on a bear. GoogleSearch is your friend in being able to research shot placement from different angles, on different species. There's plenty of pictures online with organs superimposed.

I have no comment on the archery stuff, but someone else will. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I let the first "DEATH TOOLS" comment slide, but right after my initial post, I saw you really double down, dude.

The guys (and gals) on here are conservationists who admire their quarry and don't consider hunting "killing." We're not sadists. In fact, we try to make sure the animals die swiftly and as painlessly as possible; we care about ethics. So please just apologize, edit the post, and be mindful of this in the future. Then we can just move on.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lovetohunt23
.dad wants me to pack a 45-70 govt (on account of bear hunting)..he had to shoot a monster black bear 5 times with a 303 british in order to keep from getting mauled in maine quite a few years ago.
A bigger cartridge does not make up for poor bullet placement. No way it should take 5 rounds of .303 to kill a bear. Practice with your .270 and you won't have a problem.
And for the record, I don't much care for the killing part of hunting. But it's the only way to harvest game, and I enjoy eating them.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

The op's post sounds suspiciously like two others that were posted on this site a while back by someone who obviously is not a hunter. Both and this one started with a biography leading into some comments that were not something a hunter would make and when it was brought out the OP feigned anger. I believe all three posts were by the same person. Anyone really think they could cycle a bolt action rifle 4 times to stop a bear before it got to them?

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-16-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I could believe that part, just because the Lee Enfield action is like no other bolt in terms of speed.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by younggun308
I could believe that part, just because the Lee Enfield action is like no other bolt in terms of speed.
Yeah but no black bear ever born will keep going with 5 bullets from a 303 in the vitals. My original guess still holds true, troll or rookie. Take your pick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.