Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunters born or made??????

Old 10-27-2003, 06:53 PM

Default RE: Hunters born or made??????

born a hunter has soon as i seen daylight.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Both it is got be in your blood but you also need to be taught...so equal parts are required IMO.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:36 PM

Well, I think I was made. I am this first person to hunt in my family in quite some time, I am also the first person to have a gun (other than grandpa in korea) in a long time as well. I started hunting when I was 12, and was taught by a friend of the family. But maybe I had it in me all along.

forgot to mention I am going on 20 now.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:33 AM

Made. Early man hunted and gathered. A subsistant level of living where he/she took what they needed was early man' s lifestyle when hunger approached they would hunt. Once the agricultural revolution (Mesopotamia) took hold man' s civilization took off and people became dependent on agriculture vs having to hunt their food. The premise of being full or having meals available vs. the hunger of waiting for a animal to be killed appealled to more folks as why it took over forever changing man from migrant tribes to settlements.

On the other side of humanity the indians, bushmen, aboriginees and other indigent people of the world do hunt but they are taught to hunt as a need for survival.

Carnivores hunt and teach their young how to hunt in the wild. They only hunt when they are hungry; So it is that simple hunters are made.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good point cable guy. No one is " born" as anything, accept human
Old 10-28-2003, 05:12 PM

I guess I was born a hunter. My great great grandma purchased the 175 acres that my dad now owns and operates a hunt camp on. Just like his dad, and in a few years I will most likely take over. Theres nothing I look forward to more than going into the woods and hunting. Sadly, something only WE experience.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did a paper on this my sophomore year of college, pretty interesting stuff really...

First let me clarify something that' ll I' ll use a lot..." better hunter" doesn' t mean they get more game, just that they' re better at predation...i.e. naturally stalk quietly, have better natural understanding of prey movements, better natural understanding of use of camoflage, etc.

I believe there are people born to be more efficient predators than others, not so much we' re meant to be hunters or not, but some are meant to be better at it than others....I also feel it has a lot do to with our physiological self as much as our psychological being, people are predetermined genetically to be more predatious than others, and this makes itself obvious in many ways:

Physiologically: people that have more pointed teeth than average (I actually grew canines in with my baby teeth, outset from normal teeth allignment, large curved and pointed teeth, my dentist said it gave him chills), higher set more pointed ears, closer set eyes with deeper/dark sockets with stronger chins and foreheads, people with good peripheral vision, distance judgement, and most importantly good ' night vision' tend to be better hunters than those of the opposite persuasion.

Psychologicallyeople who tend to be more aggressive, who like their meat less cooked, who tend toward competition for fun as opposed to comradery, people who tend to be more volitile emotionally, people who tend to be more contented through self internalized assertion as opposed to needing the support and confirmation from others, etc tend to be better hunters than those of the opposite persuasion.

Now, this doesn' t mean that people who don' t appear to be genetically predisposed to predation cannot make great hunters, with practice anyone can be, but those who ARE predetermined to be better predators than others tend to progress more quickly and be successful more often without as much practice...for instance, I can stalk to within 5yrds of grazing deer-proved that to a buddy two weeks ago, while that buddy actually PRACTICES quiet stalking so he does well on the hunt, I also tend to be a much more accurate shot than all of my comrades with less predatious natures given similar amounts of practice. The above mentioned buddy shoots his pistol about equally well as I do my favorite pistol, but he' s preparing to be an LEO, and runs about 200rnds a week through it, while I tend to only put about 25rnds a month through mine, I terribly out shoot him (even with his own guns) with all other guns though.

Point is, one can make themselves a good hunter, but some people have a better natural aptitude than others, just like anything else, it' s just in this case, the physiological and psychological earmarkers are more obvious than say...determining who will be more predisposed to being a good bowler
Old 10-29-2003, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

I think, as mentioned before, we become a product of our enviroment.
My dad, uncle and neighbors hunted so I took to it like a duck to water. My oldest brother never took to it and my youngest son didn' t either.
Dads gone to the big hunting ground in the sky, but if he were here I' d say " Thanks Dad" . Though before he passed on, he knew I was really into hunting. So he had to know he passed the tradition on.
Happy Hunting
Dan
Old 10-29-2003, 06:29 PM

I was always interested and entriged by the great outdoors. And being around hunting I also took great interest in this. So, I would have to say I was more than likey born with the traits that attracts one to being a hunter, gatherer.

On the other hand I know some people whom have live half of thier live and only until now have taken up hunting and love it, they just never knew where to start or were able to be subject to the wonderful expereince.

To me thats why it is important to share this experience with your friends and family if they are, interested.

Are we born hunters yes my heart say yes, but you can learn to love hunting as well.

Good post Cardeer...
Old 10-30-2003, 04:01 PM

I would have to say that if its around you enough it will become a part of you. When I was little I remember alway hereing my grandpa , dad and uncle talkin about hunting. so I was always intrested. My dad quit huntingwhen I was 3 and grandpa only gun hunted by that time(but always had ggod stories about past hunts). But we were alway getting calls about my uncle shooting deer and every time I saw him he had pictures or would call to tell us to come down so I could see it. So I think that it almost became a quest of mine to become a hunter. And the holy grail of mine was to be a good bow hunter thanks to my uncle. And with his help through all the years I feel that I and a fair hunters as of now but no where near his level of knowledge. So thanks Uncle Dan (dkbs on this board) for helping me become a hunter.

Quick Reply: Hunters born or made??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.