Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

More Winter's Meat

Old 01-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default More Winter's Meat

Last week the beautiful and fetching Mrs. Chief informed me that we didn't have enough burger in the freezer. Since we eat venison nearly exclusively this could be translated as "You need to go deer hunting." As a husband always eager to please my better half I contacted a guy I know in Paris TX that had some leftover MLD (Managed Land Deer) permits. He said to come on down.

Today was extremely cold in East TX. When I started hunting it was 8 with a wind chill of right at zero. For TX that's cold. Even had a couple inches of snow on the ground. when the sun came out and it warmed up to about 25 or so the deer started to move. A really nice looking yearling decided to stand broadside at 147 paces and I decided she was just the right thing for some burger. One round from a CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 Mauser did the job. She fell where she stood and even had a piece of browse in her mouth. Not the biggest deer, probably 85 or 90 lbs live weight but she'll eat good.

This is my 91st deer. Season is still open to end of Jan but I'm probably done for the year. We have enough meat to take us to next season. I've pulled the tenderloins and backstraps and kept the heart and the liver. The rest will be ground tomorrow. Life is good here in TX.

Cheers Y'all
Old 01-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Think the 9.3x62 is enough gun for Texas deer? Lol

Good shooting! She'll be a good eater!
Old 01-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Think the 9.3x62 is enough gun for Texas deer? Lol
I only have 2 rifles here in TX, the CZ and a Model 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6.5x54MS. My wife bought me the CZ the year before we got married. It's become one of my favorite rigs. Admittedly it's a little overgunned for TX but it sure cuts nice round holes in a deer. If my count is right I've taken 15 deer with it and have never fired twice at any of them and it does a lot less meat damage due to bloodshot than my old 7mm Mag which is at my place in CO.. And if I decide to go after nilgai, I've got the right rig. Big slow bullets work now just like they did 100 years ago.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
I only have 2 rifles here in TX, the CZ and a Model 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6.5x54MS. My wife bought me the CZ the year before we got married. It's become one of my favorite rigs. Admittedly it's a little overgunned for TX but it sure cuts nice round holes in a deer. If my count is right I've taken 15 deer with it and have never fired twice at any of them and it does a lot less meat damage due to bloodshot than my old 7mm Mag which is at my place in CO.. And if I decide to go after nilgai, I've got the right rig. Big slow bullets work now just like they did 100 years ago.
Yup! And for the next 100 years!

I like speed tho
Old 01-07-2017, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think the doe complained one bit. nice one
-Jake
Old 01-07-2017, 05:03 PM
Banned

congrats!!
Old 01-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bet you didn't think you'd be shooting a deer with snow on the ground in Texas!
Old 01-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Spike

Hey Flags,
How do you prepare your liver? That's something I've never saved on a deer, but I would love to if I could find a good way to fix it. Found a really good/simple recipe for heart that I started doing this year.

-Slice heart thin and put in a double sheet of aluminum foil. Sprinkle with Montreal Steak seasoning and drizzle with a little olive oil. Fold the aluminum foil up (creating a tent) and throw it in the coals and cook for 20 minutes. Really tender and tastes almost like back strap when done this way.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

How rare is snow in that area? I mean, do you get a few snowy days a year, or is that snow a once every ten years type deal?
-Jake
Old 01-07-2017, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best way to eat a liver is let the coyotes do it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.