Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Doe vs little buck rant

Old 10-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Doe vs little buck rant

Just got back tonight from a little hunting trip up in the Steamboat area and feel I have to rant a bit. After a unsuccesful (harvest anyway) elk/deer muzzleloader hunt I went and picked up a leftover doe tag for the area. I hunt on private land, and there are 6 other guy who were hunting the same land all with either sex tags. I shot a nice fat mulie doe on Thurday night and was talking to all the guys that night and they all said that they wouldn' t take a doe since they were waiting for there buck.

Today (saturday) I strolled into there camp and they had 3 bucks hanging up, all little, a spike and 2 little fork horns. So the conversation change eventually to " I shot a buck, you shot a doe, my deer is better than yours. My point has always been that I would rather shoot a doe than a little buck. I was pretty much ridiculed for beening a doe killer. The same thing happens on the land that I hunt back in Wisconsin. My party (4 of us) does some hunting on land of a friend, and the guys that also that hunt there won' t shoot does, but will shoot every buck that is legal. I really don' t get it.

I don' t have a problem with people shooting little bucks, I' ve done it myself. But I dont' get people now adays who are still stuck in the bucks are the only deer you should shoot.

End of rant, sorry
Old 10-25-2003, 10:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Doe vs little buck rant

I agree with you. A doe is very good eating and I like good venison. A big buck may not chew quite as well but you can hang his head on the wall. A small buck comes in third place. It doesn' t eat quite as good as the doe and you aren' t going to have it mounted.

I can understand that in some areas bucks don' t ever get real big and there are lots of hunters and short seasons. This is where fellows say " any deer is a trophy" .

There are lots of deer and a fair number of big bucks here in Alberta. There are relatively few hunter seriously chasing big bucks here. I have a couple of doe permits and I hope to fill them early in the season then hunt for a big buck or maybe take another doe with my general permit on the last day.

Robin
Old 10-26-2003, 09:55 AM
Spike

Then those guys will wonder why all they can get in that area are forkhorns and spikes... Those little bucks hanging on the pole won' t grow to be any bigger!

There are only two types of deer I will shoot... one that will hang on the wall, and a verified doe (not a button buck!).
Old 10-26-2003, 03:22 PM

The people you mentioned have some pretty distorted thinking. Don' t let it bother you, because obviously they have a few screws loose.

Where I live/hunt, it is bucks only so quite a few young bucks get shot every year. There' s nothing wrong with that, and most people are more concerned with filling the freezer than bagging a trophy. But degrading another hunter for shooting a doe where it is legal is just plain stupid. I would also prefer to shoot a doe over a small buck if it were legal to do so. If a hunter chooses to shoot a small buck and they have fun doing so, then good for them! Same for choosing to shoot a doe. Nobody should consider themselves better than another hunter simply because of the deer they choose to shoot. It is a matter of personal preference.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just like putting meat in the freezer. Usually the doe comes first because they are more plentiful. I' d love to have a trophy rack mounted someday but to be honest if it' s legal it' s going in my freezer.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:12 PM

With all of the scientific data that is published nowadays and all of the deer management articles that have been published, it is my opinion that any individuals who still feel that way are uneducated and ignorant.
Try not to let them bother you and be proud of the decisions that you make.
Take care...
Old 10-26-2003, 08:51 PM

what part of wisconsin do you hunt i hunt near antigo. i think it is better to shoot an adult doe because if you let a small buck go, next year it will be a bigger buck and for the most part a does meat is better for eating because they do not go through as much stress during the rut and they dont have muscles that bulge.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey GBhunter, I hunt over by Ladysmith when I' m in Wisconsin. The place that I' m talking about is a private square mile and they have great genetics and nutrition for there deer. We (my group) always see/shot atleast one good buck a year off of that land. I' ve always felt that if those guys would lay off the young deer that the area could easily create a fantastic herd there, but they just can' t let the little ones pass.

The guys that I' m talking about are also all older (50' s-60' s) and it' s just the way they think. It really drives me nuts
Old 10-26-2003, 10:26 PM

I am a meat hunter.I will won' t hesitate to shoot a doe.Sure a big buck on the wall is very nice to see but like everybody says they don' t taste as good as a doe.My buddy gets on to me about shooting does and I tell him you have to or you will have way to many.Besides do you know anybody that has a good recipe for antlers.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:51 AM

When I was a kid people went nutso when they started to allow does to be shot! Everyone was saying, " The insurance companys wanted all the deer dead!" " We aren' t going to have any deer left." " It only takes one buck to breed all the does." ect, ect.

Now we have more deer in Texas than ever before! Oh how things have changed.

Quick Reply: Doe vs little buck rant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.