HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Doe vs little buck rant
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Jorgy
Nontypical Buck

Default Doe vs little buck rant

Just got back tonight from a little hunting trip up in the Steamboat area and feel I have to rant a bit. After a unsuccesful (harvest anyway) elk/deer muzzleloader hunt I went and picked up a leftover doe tag for the area. I hunt on private land, and there are 6 other guy who were hunting the same land all with either sex tags. I shot a nice fat mulie doe on Thurday night and was talking to all the guys that night and they all said that they wouldn' t take a doe since they were waiting for there buck.

Today (saturday) I strolled into there camp and they had 3 bucks hanging up, all little, a spike and 2 little fork horns. So the conversation change eventually to " I shot a buck, you shot a doe, my deer is better than yours. My point has always been that I would rather shoot a doe than a little buck. I was pretty much ridiculed for beening a doe killer. The same thing happens on the land that I hunt back in Wisconsin. My party (4 of us) does some hunting on land of a friend, and the guys that also that hunt there won' t shoot does, but will shoot every buck that is legal. I really don' t get it.

I don' t have a problem with people shooting little bucks, I' ve done it myself. But I dont' get people now adays who are still stuck in the bucks are the only deer you should shoot.

End of rant, sorry