Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
This is how we raise them in Lancaster Co PA >

This is how we raise them in Lancaster Co PA

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This is how we raise them in Lancaster Co PA

Old 12-25-2016, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
It is also unlawful in PA to sell antlers or any inedible parts of game animals unless it is done within 30 days by the person who legally killed the animal. That rack will make the record book, you can bet your butt a person who found a rack like that would more than likely sell it. PA tries very hard to keep parts of game animals out of commerce and I have absolutely no problem with that. Stop the source of the market and stop the market.
I couldn't find that 30 day rule in the regulations. Not saying you are wrong. I just didn't see that. If it is there, I'm a little surprised PA would permit it. It would seem to go against the spirit of what they are trying to accomplish.

C. Davis
Old 12-25-2016, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually Davis it is 90 days, not 30 days from the time it was lawfully harvested. Don't know how I did that. At one time, the only thing that could be sold was the deer hide but the general assembly had people wanting them to change the law so they did in the late 80s or early 90s. This is the law: section 2312 (c): (iv) The sale or purchase of any inedible part
thereof, from game or wildlife lawfully killed, if such
parts are disposed of by the original owner within 90
days after the close of the season in which the game or
wildlife was taken.

The PGC wasn't in favor of it especially since they had ongoing undercover operations that showed how prevalent and lucrative selling wildlife and parts was.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know I wouldn't waste a tag on a decomposing buck no matter how big the rack is.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:22 AM
Banned

Actually Davis it is 90 days, not 30 days from the time it was lawfully harvested. Don't know how I did that. At one time, the only thing that could be sold was the deer hide but the general assembly had people wanting them to change the law so they did in the late 80s or early 90s. This is the law: section 2312 (c): [B] (iv) The sale or purchase of any inedible part
thereof, from game or wildlife lawfully killed, if such
parts are disposed of by the original owner within 90
days after the close of the season in which the game or
wildlife was tak

The PGC wasn't in favor of it especially since they had ongoing undercover operations that showed how prevalent and lucrative selling wildlife and parts was.
do you think folks are obeying that law?
it is simply not possible to enforce it.
while ,I believe most honest folks would obey it , those who would poach in the first place ,certainly will NOT!
Old 12-25-2016, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
I know I wouldn't waste a tag on a decomposing buck no matter how big the rack is.
I'm guessing that maybe he used his archery buck tag that was no longer valid since it said he found the buck and tagged it when he was out taking his tree stand down at the end of the archery season. If that is what happened it would seem to me that doing that would be a bigger violation than if he used a valid tag during an open season that it was good for.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes it is possible to enforce because people have to show it off, that is how it came to the attention of the WCO, that is in the story, there were pictures all over the internet. I have to laugh sometimes when people say a law is not possible to enforce, it is possible , I can't count the times I was told I would never solve a particular game law violation, I really enjoyed solving those cases. In this case what would be the point of having a record buck if no one knows but you, the guy had to blab and show it off and up jumped the devil. Generally, people are their own worst enemy.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's amazing now with the internet how many idiots post pictures or talk about stuff that is a violation of one law or another and they get nailed. We've even had a few newbies come on here and mention things that turned out to be violations of the law to one extent or the other. One recent one was the guy that said he shot and tagged a doe with a friend's tag even though the law required the friend to be right there to be able to do that as a party. He went bye bye quickly on here for several other various infractions.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Top, there is only one buck tag per hunter in PA, you can get multiple doe tags, in some counties in the southeast near Philadelphia and near Pittsburgh in the west the doe tags are unlimited after a certain date until they run out. The buck tag can be used on a buck in any season, archery, regular rifle season, muzzle loader season and flintlock season, in the flintlock season that begins the day after Christmas unless that day is a Sunday an unused buck tag can be used on a buck or doe.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Banned

Yes it is possible to enforce because people have to show it off, that is how it came to the attention of the WCO, that is in the story, there were pictures all over the internet. I have to laugh sometimes when people say a law is not possible to enforce, it is possible , I can't count the times I was told I would never solve a particular game law violation, I really enjoyed solving those cases. In this case what would be the point of having a record buck if no one knows but you, the guy had to blab and show it off and up jumped the devil. Generally, people are their own worst enemy.
YEAH , many have big mouths and are stupid. certainly cannot argue with that. but for every one you caught there are dozens ,maybe thousands , you never did or will.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

No doubt, however that is law enforcement, no matter what law you are working with. You do the best you can, then pass the baton to your replacement when you retire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.