Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Modern Hunting is killing off the hunters >

Modern Hunting is killing off the hunters

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Modern Hunting is killing off the hunters

Old 12-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Seriously. Maybe its just sites like this that are dying out. I just read a post on another site about a young man that went 7 miles deep into Idaho elk country and hunted for several days and got a nice first elk !!I travel alot and have hunted with many young men of this ilk that would give the oldtimers a run for their money!! At least they are out there hunting and not sitting around on the computer whinning !!
LOL, sounds pretty average to me?
Old 12-13-2016, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Timbrhunt? Get out and HUNT
Old 12-14-2016, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see alot of complaining.

Hard core or whatever you want to call it doesn't compute for me. I know plenty of folks that hunt bright and early prior to work at 0800 and then even hit the woods during their lunch breaks. Then hit the woods after their day is done till sunset. Many that travel to other states to hunt and practice year round. Met a 23 year old last week that used his 96 to drive to Ohio to hunt some public land with a buddy and landed a beautiful 12 pointer. My neighbor who does two weeks on two weeks off for an oil company who just this past week was in Virginia for a bear trip for wounded warriors, 3 weeks prior was in Kentucky hunting deer, and a few weeks prior was in Kansas.

Maybe some of you as you that have gotten older may have started to see things little skewed then you used to, after all the older you get the smaller your social circle becomes. Quit crying, and get out there.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have to define modern hunting. In my opinion Hunting is dying a slow death, due to what I call the too hard syndrome.

Hunting itself as a skill is hard enough. Add to it hundreds of regulations, Hunting land restrictions, even parking and it gets so darned complicated it stops being enjoyable anymore.

A book called Hunting for Idiots, that sorts out most of the fine points of the bureaucracy, might be helpful.

Seems every local, county, State and Federal entity has some input, their own regulations and restrictions. You either need to be a genius or a lawyer to not run afoul of some law or other.

I actually think the whole system is designed this way to discourage anybody with the inclination to hunt. The Earth Firsters, Sierra club and others couldn't have planned a better scenario for gradually dampening out a past time they disagree with.

I've picked up skills over the years, some fairly complicated like computer hardware and software function that is easier than sifting through all of the bureaucratic pitfalls to hunting. Sorting out who owns what, where to find access and keeping track of all of the seasons makes what should be enjoyable, a real chore.

And just about the time you think you have it whipped, they up and change the rules.

What really irritated me in California was miles and miles of No Stopping or No Parking signs on highways passing through State or Federal lands. You park someplace remote and you run the chance of returning and finding your vehicle gone or pilfered. Park on the highway, even in a turnout and you run the chance of getting a ticket. Just a pet peeve. I really have to wonder what the budget is for No Stopping or No Parking signs in California? Some of the nicest spots in California have no parking within miles.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

One good thing about PA as opposed to some other states is that the state makes the hunting laws and the PA Game Commission makes the regulations. No county or township or other municipality can make a law or ordinance that supersedes our Game laws. Not that some haven tried but the PGC is quick to point out to them that they have no authority do pass any law or ordinance regarding hunting and the PGC will send an officer to testify in the hunter's defense if they get pinched for some infraction of an invalid law. Federal laws that govern migratory bird hunting are the purview of the US Fish and Wildlife Service. However, a state may write laws or regulations that further restrict Federal laws and regulations, but they may not make laws that lessen the restrictions. I really feel bad for the hunters in states where counties, townships and other entities may write laws affecting hunting in their jurisdiction because it makes trying to stay within the law very difficult since there are so many different sets of laws.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Spike

I think technology has a big thing to do with a decline of hunters. Also I believe there are plenty of die hard hunters still out there. I have a friend that is on a lease in Kansas, he has driven up there, late at night, hunt the morning and afternoon, drives home to get to work. After 12 hour shift spends time with the wife and his two daughters, and then repeats. I do agree with Rockport. Anything to difficult isn't worth doing, that seems like the new American motto.

I also believe with more activities and technology you don't see many kids hunting anymore. Plus kids take up a lot of time away from being in the woods, with sports and school activities. I don't think hunting is fading away by no means, there is way to much money in the business of hunting. It'll be around for years to come. I would just like to see more kids involved.

Last edited by IndianaBigBucks; 12-15-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

i don't think modern hunters are "killing off" anything. i love to still hunt. At age 77 i get out and beat the bush with the best of them every chance i get. The big challenge here in OK is finding a place to do that.

To those who knock hunting from stands and blinds: You can't still hunt a section of wheat or a half section of wetlands covered with grass, brush and other vegetation seven feet tall.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by falcon
i don't think modern hunters are "killing off" anything. i love to still hunt. At age 77 i get out and beat the bush with the best of them every chance i get. The big challenge here in OK is finding a place to do that.

To those who knock hunting from stands and blinds: You can't still hunt a section of wheat or a half section of wetlands covered with grass, brush and other vegetation seven feet tall.
I don't hunt from blinds or stands .
that said, if it is legal ,it is legal. those who don't like it have two choices. DEAL WITH IT ,OR GO POUND SAND!
Old 12-18-2016, 06:07 AM
Spike

#1 reason I get for quitting hunting is there's no place to do it.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ezearl
#1 reason I get for quitting hunting is there's no place to do it.
Depends on where you are at. Out west there are millions of acres of public land you can hunt on. Even when I lived in FL I hunted public land and always took at least 1 buck a year same for when I lived in VA. Many states have huge blocks of land you can hunt so your comment doesn't always ring true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.