HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Modern Hunting is killing off the hunters
Old 12-15-2016, 09:25 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

You have to define modern hunting. In my opinion Hunting is dying a slow death, due to what I call the too hard syndrome.

Hunting itself as a skill is hard enough. Add to it hundreds of regulations, Hunting land restrictions, even parking and it gets so darned complicated it stops being enjoyable anymore.

A book called Hunting for Idiots, that sorts out most of the fine points of the bureaucracy, might be helpful.

Seems every local, county, State and Federal entity has some input, their own regulations and restrictions. You either need to be a genius or a lawyer to not run afoul of some law or other.

I actually think the whole system is designed this way to discourage anybody with the inclination to hunt. The Earth Firsters, Sierra club and others couldn't have planned a better scenario for gradually dampening out a past time they disagree with.

I've picked up skills over the years, some fairly complicated like computer hardware and software function that is easier than sifting through all of the bureaucratic pitfalls to hunting. Sorting out who owns what, where to find access and keeping track of all of the seasons makes what should be enjoyable, a real chore.

And just about the time you think you have it whipped, they up and change the rules.

What really irritated me in California was miles and miles of No Stopping or No Parking signs on highways passing through State or Federal lands. You park someplace remote and you run the chance of returning and finding your vehicle gone or pilfered. Park on the highway, even in a turnout and you run the chance of getting a ticket. Just a pet peeve. I really have to wonder what the budget is for No Stopping or No Parking signs in California? Some of the nicest spots in California have no parking within miles.