Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What do you think about this buck? >

What do you think about this buck?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you think about this buck?

Old 12-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Spike

Default What do you think about this buck?

We have caught this buck on the trail cam several times over the past few days. He looks like he has 7 or 8 points with a pretty wide rack. Can someone estimate the spread? And also the age of this deer? I'm not experienced enough to judge that myself, but to me he looks fairly mature. I think he is a shooter, especially for here in SC. What do you think?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/464146.../shares/V9Y635

https://www.flickr.com/photos/464146.../shares/57kff6

I apologize for the picture quality not being the best, and please let me know if the links for the pictures do not work.

Last edited by vipor3d; 12-05-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

He's a shooter in my book, maybe 17" - 18" inside spread. Around here if the antlers are just outside the ears they're around 16" inside.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

My guess .... 2 1/2 to 3 year old. Looks like he has the width, just not yet the length and mass to be a trophy class in 2-3 years. If you are "rack hunting" and can stand it, let him walk. Of course, he may be in another's freezer if you do !
Old 12-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a good looking Buck,nice wide spread....gonna say 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 Year old Buck.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Definitely a nice buck , I think he's young maybe 3 at the most , he's nice probably 19 inch spread but their right he lacks height and mass in his horn but also his body ,his necks swollen but in 2 more years he'll be all buffed, big body that matches that neck . It depends are you on public land - shoot him. If your areas hunting pressure is high - shoot him, if your hunting area is relaxed and you can wait cool . You can't eat horns and God let him come in day light ( another young sign ), if he walks by my tree , he'll leave in my truck ,good luck n God bless
Old 12-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by blessed n born to hunt
Definitely a nice buck , I think he's young maybe 3 at the most , he's nice probably 19 inch spread but their right he lacks height and mass in his horn but also his body ,his necks swollen but in 2 more years he'll be all buffed, big body that matches that neck . It depends are you on public land - shoot him. If your areas hunting pressure is high - shoot him, if your hunting area is relaxed and you can wait cool . You can't eat horns and God let him come in day light ( another young sign ), if he walks by my tree , he'll leave in my truck ,good luck n God bless
Actually, the buck is on private land which is pretty much in my back yard. I can actually walk to the stand from the house and can still see the house from the stand where we have caught that buck on camera. I might should add that I started hunting when I was 12, which was 8 years ago. I killed a small 5 point that year which was my first deer ever and to this day has been my only buck. I have only been able to kill does since then, but that's probably because I kind of slacked off with hunting for a couple of years. But my point is I have never seen a deer as big as the one in the picture while hunting, and definitely have never killed anything that big and would be more than happy with getting one that big. Obviously he would be bigger in another couple years and that would be a nicer trophy, but the man who owns the property adjacent to the one I hunt and live on is pretty known for shooting any deer that walks and I guess I am just trying to figure out if the reward of letting him walk for another year is worth the risk of him getting taken on the next property.

Last edited by vipor3d; 12-08-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm no expert, and those who are will probably disagree with me, But I just don't see him getting a much fuller rack with age. There are plenty of bucks out there that'll grow an incredibly wide spread with thick antlers, but still have pretty short points or lack points on the inside altogether.
As others have pointed out, he'd certainly gain body mass with age if you let him walk. The ends of his antlers might even get longer and have a mule deer like look to them. Still, I think his genes are such that you're only going to see marginal improvement in his rack. I wouldn't feel bad about taking him if he presents the opportunity.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Shoot him. If it makes you happy, take him. If that would be your biggest so far, don't wait. It may be a few years before you see another buck of that quality.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you should hold him down while I shoot him!

Like the others, I see potential for growth and he looks relatively young. That said, I'd take him as it would be my biggest deer.

How does he compare to other deer that you see? If he's got everything else seriously outclassed, then you've got a trophy there for your area. That would mean shoot if you get a chance.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with those saying that he is young, 3-1/2 yrs. and about an an 18" spread. It's a good buck that will grow bigger. He also should gain more mass and possibly a little more tine length, maybe not so much more in the spread department.
There is no guarantee that he will make it to next year though. Only you can make the decision to take him or not! He is a descent shooter so, if you decide to take him, don't take any flak from anyone!