Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting a food source

Old 10-24-2003, 04:33 PM

Default Hunting a food source

I am fairly new to hunting and the boards and was looking for opinions on hunting a food source i.e oaks with alot of acorns.how and where would you set up?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:59 PM

Default RE: Hunting a food source

Definitely hunt the acorns. Where you set up will depend upon the wind and the direction the deer are coming into the area.
Also, if you have apple trees set up near there. We don' t have any acorns here this year and the deer have been devouring every apple that falls from the trees. I haven' t had much luck hunting the apple trees so far because the wind is always wrong.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunting a food source

Sirchance ,
you have an excellent starting point there .

Watch them eat for awhile , then decide which one you want to take . I know it' s hard to just watch , but be choosy . Be prepared to sit in your stand without taking a shot for a whole day if necessary unless it' s a camera , that' s the mindset I take into the woods . Take the time to choose carefully . Depending on where you hunt , you might want to choose a doe instead of a buck . Some areas , like mine , need to have the does thinned , consider the resource first , then decide what the most ethical target will be .

This is the point where I start to line up , and I reccomend it highly .