Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What food source is the best to hunt during the rut? >

What food source is the best to hunt during the rut?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What food source is the best to hunt during the rut?

Old 09-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default What food source is the best to hunt during the rut?

I've hunted alot of corn and bean fields in my days and also a few clover patches. But i was just wondering what everyone else prefers to hunt near or around.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What food source is the best to hunt during the rut?

The set up I like the best where I hunt is beans along the treeline and corn in the next section. It seems to give the deer a little chasearea between the treeline and corn.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does for me.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

i got all timbered land i like to set up on our loggin trail where weve planted clover in a a couple spots it seems to work pretty good
Old 09-21-2008, 03:56 PM

during the rut i do not concentrate on food sources..because the bucks are not concentrating on food sources..post rut is when to concentrate on food sources as the bucks are puttin on fat and regaining energy for the winter from chasin those does..during the rut..just about the only thing on the bucks mind is finding hot does..dont get me wrong..they do eat then..jus not as much..but open fields are good to hunt..glassing the are for bucks chasing does through..now on the other hand..you can hunt the feeding areas that does are coming to..hopefully draggin that trophy buck behind her..concentrate on trails that does are using..and the does bedding area..once a buck finds a doe that is coming into heat..he will stick around her until she lets him breed. During the post rut the bucks will be searching for any acorns left over..food plots are excellent to hunt at this time too.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:09 PM

During the 2006 season I bowhunted and gun hunted over an 8 acre field that was left in beans. The farmer coudn't get his new 30 foot bean head through through the road to get to this back field. I was set up in a strip of open hardwoods between the cut field on the standing field. I saw tons of doe's and 3 shooter bucks just before gun season. We have the only row crop farm within 1 1/2 miles or so, so I always have an advantage especially if there is a good food source. So I try to hunt the most prominent food source that provides good chase areas. Of course this past season I saw 2 Big bucks chasing does in an open grass field down the hill, so who's to really say but, hunt the ladies and the men are sure to follow.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

during the rut I dont hunt the food sources as much, I tend to find out where the does are and hunt the does, then harvest a buck as its seeking or chasing
Old 09-22-2008, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: countrymudder

during the rut i do not concentrate on food sources..because the bucks are not concentrating on food sources..post rut is when to concentrate on food sources as the bucks are puttin on fat and regaining energy for the winter from chasin those does..during the rut..just about the only thing on the bucks mind is finding hot does..
All the more reason to hunt food sources, does eat year-round, and bucks follow does during the rut even though they don't feed much themselves. A trail between bedding and their current food source is a gold mine.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:32 PM

yes you are right kevin1..i did mention that in my first post if ya read it all the way through lol..there are benefitsfor both senarios
Old 09-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Hunt where the does are......good cover with nearby food. The less threatened the does feel the better off you are.

Quick Reply: What food source is the best to hunt during the rut?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.