Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what works and what doesn't

Old 11-12-2016, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default what works and what doesn't

has anyone had any luck rattling ? In over 30 years of deer hunting it has never worked for me Doe in heat has only worked a few times as well grunting maybe once or twice so what is every ones thoughts ?
Old 11-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Banned

yes it works. just not in every case . also there is a learning curve to it. keep at it , see how deer respond and alter tactics to suit situation .over time you will see better results.

when rattling try and imitate what it sounds like when two bucks are fighting.
I have no set way of doing it, I just improvise with what feels right.
also I seldom grunt. generally not till I see the buck and only do so to get him to stop or turn for the shot.but at same time ,I have spotted a buck across a field, grunted and had him run towards me.

Last edited by kidoggy; 11-12-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

I've rattled a lot over years. The only place I've had luck with it was in Texas. I used a rattle bag and a grunt call. It worked a few times but each time was different. I've also used the doe in estrus call the can. It's just luck I'm sure but I've had deer come in shortly after using it in the past but no luck so far this season with any call. Just keep trying that's all I'm going to do good luck !
Old 11-12-2016, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

I had a small 8 come in earlier this season... I've never had much success and really only do it if I'm really bored... I probably scare more deer away by doing it.
-Jake