Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Safe hunting tips

Old 11-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Safe hunting tips

Here in IL we have our firearms opener next Friday. I thought I would start a thread where I will add a few safe hunting tips here and there.

Today I will offer these 2 tips.

1. Plan your hunt and hunt your plan.
Essentially what this means is let atleast one responsible party know where you are hunting and what time you plan to be safely out of the woods or back home. If you don't show up back home or call to let them know all is good, they will know where you were supposed to be and can start trying to locate you and save valuable time by not looking elsewhere.

2. Keep a whistle on yourself attached in an easily accessible location.
Use tornado type whistles with no moving pea as the peas type can freeze up in freezing temperatures due to moisture from your mouth. Keeping the whistle readily accessible allows you to more effectively signal for help should you need it as a whistle will carry much further than yelling. 3 blasts on a whistle is an international signal for help.

Hunt safe!
Old 11-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Carry water proof matches and a space blanket, they take up almost no room in your day pack.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

Carry something to eat that you will leave alone until you are out of the woods.
Use a harness if in a tree stand.
Carry more than one knife.
In your plan specify when you are planning to contact someone to let them know you are safe. I always call my wife when I am out of the woods and headed home.
Carry extra ammo.
Also have an extra smaller flashlight. They are light and can be real useful late at night.

Always know your target and what is beyond it before shooting. Always.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Carry what you need to comfortably spend a night in the woods. Doesn't have to be anything fancy just some basic gear like space blanket, water, food, a way to make a fire, couple big trash bags (you'd be amazed what you can do with them), some warm clothing etc...
Old 11-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Make sure your "day pack" can become your "night" pack if necessary !

Remember, "One is none" !
Old 11-12-2016, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Keep your head down if hunting Michigan public land opening week.

We always carried two compasses in the UP just as a reminder that the iron ore in the soil made both go crazy GPS much better. If your a worry wart carry extra batteries.

Don't get lost in the first place know your hunting grounds.

Al