Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stand & scrape set-up?

Old 10-28-2016, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stand & scrape set-up?

I bowhunt a number of urban properties in Northern VA. This one property is one of my favorites as it has some pretty nice bucks. It's only 10 acres & is all wooded. The swirly lines are the thick areas that deer really travel through, although the majority of the thick areas are off the property. Where would you hang a stand & where would you make a mock scrape? I'm thinking scrape on #3 & hang stand 25 yds. downwind of it? The entire 10 acres is wooded, but not super thick woods & the deer don't travel through the center much. There's a sm. creek (often dry) that runs through it that they travel occasionally though.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

# 1 near heavy woods and usually downwind of scrape
Old 10-28-2016, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

I like # 1 , look at satellite pics , my wooded corner had 3 game trails visible from my neighbors woods into mine, I had already set in the corner much like your #1 ,after noticing the trail I set up on joined the other 2 trails just a little farther in the woods and to the right, much like your #2 .go were the does go, feed them and do not shoot a doe until you have your buck , and remember the buck your about to shoot probably has a bigger one waiting to see if it's safe to come out , good luck and God bless ya - hope you get your trophy, keep us posted
Old 10-28-2016, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by coolbrze0
I bowhunt a number of urban properties in Northern VA. This one property is one of my favorites as it has some pretty nice bucks. It's only 10 acres & is all wooded. The swirly lines are the thick areas that deer really travel through, although the majority of the thick areas are off the property. Where would you hang a stand & where would you make a mock scrape? I'm thinking scrape on #3 & hang stand 25 yds. downwind of it? The entire 10 acres is wooded, but not super thick woods & the deer don't travel through the center much. There's a sm. creek (often dry) that runs through it that they travel occasionally though.

I would stay away from #1 and #2 as the wind is going to pull your scent into those thick woods you say they travel in. I would set up between #3 and #4. Wind in face, quiet as a church mouse and still as dirt.

Good luck