Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Anybody ever go to Saskatchewan for Trophy Whitetails >

Anybody ever go to Saskatchewan for Trophy Whitetails

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anybody ever go to Saskatchewan for Trophy Whitetails

Old 10-27-2016, 08:02 PM
Spike

Default Anybody ever go to Saskatchewan for Trophy Whitetails

Always been a dream on mine to go to Saskatchewan to bowhunt a big bodied bruiser. Thinking about putting away a little each month over next couple years to plan a hunt in the next year or two. Anyone ever done it? Any guide recommendations? Definitely want to bow hunt, not rifle hunt. Started doing an online search a few weeks ago and there are a ton of guides and price ranges. I imagine going to some shows this winter and meeting some guides would be a good idea as well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
free funny ringtones and iphone ringtones download or latest ringtones

Last edited by SophiaL; 11-10-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I much prefer going some place where a guide is not required. Anacostia Island Ont. for one such place.

Seems with a guide be about the same as hunting a fenced in deer farm. taken to a stand climb in and shoot the deer that come close.

Al
Old 10-28-2016, 04:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know a guy that has done that a couple of times. He's taken some big bucks but when i talk to him he says he prefers hunting his grandparents farm on the Blue Ridge in VA. But he also like big racks and in VA he doesn't get the size he does in Sask.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted in Canada a few times, the real key is going to be finding a GOOD outfitter that FITS your way of hunting and that is HONEST!
BEst suggestion I can offer you, based on the chunck of change a GOOD hunt runs these days is this
GO TO the eastern sportsman show in Harrisburg PA< in Feb.
there are MORE outfitters there than you can shake a stick at and get face to face time with them
its the largest event of its kind in the world(so they claim)
NOT sure where your from, but its worth the trip to get to MEET people before you hand over any money

that you you REALLY have to do your homework(even at the show too, NEVER just take a outfitters word on ANYTHING till you know them well)
THAT means any possible outfitter you think about, get referrals, and MAKE calls and ask every single stupid question you can think of and MAKE sure the answers are true and what you want
I personally think FAR too many folks base a hunt on the price tag and take for granted they will get a GREAT hunt off that

NOPE< far too many get screwed due to lack of effort on there part then get to hunt, be mad, and get home even more so!, blaming the outfitter, when it was THEM that failed 90% of the time, but LACK of asking and looking before booking!

ALberta and Manitoba even BC< all have some LARGE body bucks
and can produce some trophy's
BUT hunting there, as in Sack. can be very different WHERE in the providence you hunt, from plains to swamps to think forest, to high mt's
so ASK LOTS of questions
to get the TYPE Of hunt you want
SACK> does baiting, NOT all providence's allow that
MOST ALL of canada require a guide to hunt by LAW!
only a few providence's IF that, don't! in Canada!
Anacostia Island is a great place too, lots of deer, but few ever get close to the size you will find in Sask. both racks and weights
difference can be huge too!

Anacostia Island can be a two buck place and very possible to do so!
Sask. you can maybe add a mule deer for a added fee's
or an option IF you tag out on a WT early, ask your outfitter that too
as many live in places BOTH have a good population
I've done MD/WT hunts in ALberta before, its a nice option for a few bucks more, or to just ADD in case!
Old 10-28-2016, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watch out! I hired an outfitter in Alberta once but never again! The 2nd & last time i hired an outfitter was in Quebec for a winter Caribou hunt, I never saw him & barely got my 2 Bou. Do your homework to get a good outfitter, I did and got terrible service twice. I can't believe that experienced US hunters are forced to hire a guide in Canada, yet Canadians can hunt in the US without a guide!
Old 10-29-2016, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

You do not need a guide in all of Canada, Ont. is such a province.

Al