Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting rates

Old 10-05-2016, 02:28 AM
Spike

Default Hunting rates

I notice a lot of people here have their own land to hunt, but if you don't, do you all contact an outfitter like I did? If you do what is the average rate of a hunt per day?
Old 10-05-2016, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

honestly I have only used a outfitter when legally it was needed and that was in Canada, as a non resident
other wise I have never paid for a guide to take me hunting,
most every state(not all)
have a LOT of public lands
and I would bet 90% of folks that don;'t own there own, tend to use it, OR they hunt off friends lands they have permission on!

Yes there are a LOT of outfitters out there, but the percentage of hunters to outfitters, is SMALL
Most cannot or will not PAY what most outfitters charge
when you do the math, an outfitter is a costly adventure, all the more so if your looking for meat, a fully guided hunt can cost a lot of money, making the price per LB of meat CRAZY costly!

there is NO standard price for a outfitter either, as a lot depends on what they offer, Location, STATE /providence/country,how much land they have, quality of land, reputation, clientele they have, and a LOT of other variables, like success rates, quality of game taken and so on.
an example, a outfitter for a whitetail deer hunting in say PA< can get maybe 1500( Or more or even less) for a weeks hunt, and one in a say Texas can get 10 grand (or more , or less too)
and thats a HUGE Difference in per day costs?

SO< species is a big part of things, HOW hard it is to draw a tag

a high end hard to draw sheep hunt can run 100 grand, and talk about PER day cost?? LOL
NUTS

SO< maybe you should ask, based more on where and WHAT your hunting, and weapon type too, as that matters also??
and se what others in your area and after like game pay? if you want to know if you got a deal or not
Old 10-05-2016, 06:34 AM
Spike

wow thanks for the reply, that was great info.
i am simply looking to hunt whitetail deer, in Ga. since i am inexperienced i was looking to have a guide. guess i have to do my research..
Old 10-05-2016, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

having a guide isn't bad, but its like cheating> also at same time
your being told what to do and NOT really learning HOW and WHY to do things

GA I think has a LOT of public lands, might be worth your time to talk to a few game wardens in area's you like to try, might find you some FREE hunting land

having a guide also DOESN:T always mean getting a deer too

so, be prepared just in case!
Old 10-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

I would think about leasing my own land before I hired a guide, personally, I like that arrangement much better.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

A guide is often for somebody who has a busy life, work, responsibilities or whatever and doesn't have the time to invest in scouting etc.

I've had good experiences with guides. IMO, really the way to go when you are in new to you territory.

A good guide is usually a referral from somebody who has used him or her before.

Guide packages come in all flavors, the Hunt, the party etc. I go to hunt, the food, entertainment and comfort level are secondary to me.

The best guide IMO is the one who drives you out and drops you off in game country at 3 A.M. and comes to pick you up after dark. Gives you detailed instructions on where to look and where not to go.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
having a guide isn't bad, but its like cheating> also at same time
your being told what to do and NOT really learning HOW and WHY to do things

GA I think has a LOT of public lands, might be worth your time to talk to a few game wardens in area's you like to try, might find you some FREE hunting land

having a guide also DOESN:T always mean getting a deer too

so, be prepared just in case!
So don't want to cheat... But could use pointers
Old 10-05-2016, 03:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mthusker
I would think about leasing my own land before I hired a guide, personally, I like that arrangement much better.
I guess I just really got to get my feet wet.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
A guide is often for somebody who has a busy life, work, responsibilities or whatever and doesn't have the time to invest in scouting etc.

I've had good experiences with guides. IMO, really the way to go when you are in new to you territory.

A good guide is usually a referral from somebody who has used him or her before.

Guide packages come in all flavors, the Hunt, the party etc. I go to hunt, the food, entertainment and comfort level are secondary to me.

The best guide IMO is the one who drives you out and drops you off in game country at 3 A.M. and comes to pick you up after dark. Gives you detailed instructions on where to look and where not to go.
Well I am definitely new to the entire hunting territory. Lol
Old 10-05-2016, 03:35 PM
Spike

Ga., like many areas with alot of acreage owned by big timber have hunting clubs. This way you lease large tracks of land but dont take the whole hit yourself. Many of them post in the classifieds when they have openings. As stated before, the game wardens will be able to tell you where some of the better ones are. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.