Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting rates

Old 10-05-2016, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

What part of GA are you looking to hunt? If it's really far north, I could point you to some really good places just over into TN.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

I think you'd be better suited finding a mentor to take you and show you the ropes.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Depends on where you live. Is there a lot of public ground around? A lot of landowners will let you hunt if you just ask permission and follow their directions of where not to go.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:25 PM
Spike

Having a fully guided hunt isn't a bad option, especially if you don't have any experience or time to do any scouting. However, be sure to do some research on a particular outfitter. There are plenty of outfitters out there and many price ranges.
I have done the semi-guided hunts before, but it can be difficult if you don't get a chance to scout the area prior to the hunt.
I have also done guided hunts and they were fun; you can also learn a lot from guides especially if you're new to hunting. Good luck. Hunting is fun, frustrating, and rewarding.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

When I was just starting out I tried going by myself for a few years to public land with out success. That's why I went with a guide. I opted to hang out with him throughout the hunt and picked his brain on how deer act and what to look for. We ended up becoming friends and I became a better hunter because of it. I went my first 7 years of hunting without tagging a deer and after hunting with him for that 1 week I now come close to tagging out every year with averaging 4 deer a year off public land. I may not see as many quality in rack size but I do see enough to keep me from paying money for a lease. The only way now I would get a guide would be if I only was able to take one trip in my lifetime to a certain state or country. If you don't have anyone to show you the ropes there is nothing wrong with paying the money as long. It will save you time in the long run.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

Nothing wrong with using a guide, if you don't have the time to scout, don't have a mentor, and can afford the fees. Georgia has a lot of clubs you might be able to join, as sort of a compromise. Just an off-hand figure, but a fully guided deer hunt runs about $300/day, obviously it could be more or less, depending on location, service provided, etc.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think MOST guides are NOT there to TRAIN you HOW to hunt, so I think anyone going into a guided hunt that is looking for that, is in for a disappointment
Most guided hunts consist of a guide walking you to a stand, and leaving you on your own(whitetail deer hunts)
as MOST guided hunts, its NOT a one on =one deal, that costs MORE
NEXT MOST guided hunts happen on (or should) on prime lands, a totally different hunting situation, than on public land, and HOW you would hunt both are different!

I have NO idea how anyone would learn anything in this way? other than hunting cost"X" a day for a guided hunt

I am NOT saying SOME Guides are NOT willing to show you the ropes more and teach, but saying that is NOT the norm! and its NOT there JOB really.

there there to get you on game, not teach you how, doing so, kinda isn't good for there business?
so I wouldn;'t be surprised if some game out BAD info, too keep you coming back when it doesn't WORK for you else where?

learning how to hunt , again is like all things, the more you learn, by reading studying and DOING< the better you will be, some learn faster and some slower

I grew up in a NON hunting family, and am 100% self taught, started hunting public land by my self, and have never NOT filled a tag, unless I chose to pass on things
BUT O worked a LOT harder than most, because I had a strong desire to learn and put the hrs in BEFORE season to KNOW where critters were, so when hunting started I was WAY ahead of the curve.
if your trying to learn HOW to hunt IN hunting season, you missed the point of learning HOW TO HUNT

your learn WAY more in the off season if you apply yourself to do so, than you ever will in the hunting season!
Guide or NO guide
learning is up to you!
Old 10-14-2016, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

I think Superman 70 hit it right on the head. Find a good hunt club in your area that is willing to take you in as a new member and most will pair you up with someone of experience to help you and watch out for you while you get familiar with everything. The members usually help out with the processing of the deer and you can learn a whole lot. Thats how I learned as my father is not a hunter and did not have anyone to take me. I joined a club with a friend about twenty five years ago and still a member. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2016, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Virginia I lease a 100 acre plot of land and could drag deer from it every day. I pay about $9.40 and acre and it is worth it. If you go this route, get hunting lease insurance. pay another $200 for it, but it is worth it. This would be the best way to go IMHO!!