Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help!

Old 09-28-2016, 06:20 PM
Spike

Default Help!

Names Justin,
I began hunting small game at 18 years old. Became fairly good, abd decided to do whitetail hunting. I'm now 24. This is my second season out in the stand. My first year was unsucessful. I went out and bought a brand new bear bow and all the gadgets. Two weeks into season my belongings got stolen. I began hunting with crossbow. Went out numerous times and the only time I seen deer was early morning. Even when seeing deer in daylight all were doe but out of range....way out of range.I spent allot of time out last season. Any suggestions to the start of my second 2016 season? I got the fever and need to put down my very first deer. Ask questions, I'm open to all advice.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

well if your seeing deer, even far out, your at half the battle down

its a learning curve to get from seeing to killing, and honestly, time spent in the woods will teach you IF you pay attention

watch for trails and where these deer are going and coming from, and scout the area's lightly, so NOT to disturb them , any more than you have to
and then adjust your set ups, base on there movements

hunting is hunting, NOT shooting
have to learn to be a hunter, on TOP of learning how to be a shooter
the shooting part is the easy part if you ask me!
can practice all yr

but sounds like your half way there, just keep at it
pay attention to wind directions too, watch the lay of the land and try to use normal winds to set up your hunts
pay attention on how you get into your area's and OUT
deer pattern hunters just as hunters pattern deer

and deer are BETTER at it LOL
Old 09-28-2016, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

When I need to "Just put a doe down" I hunt a food source, or a trail leading to a food source. Hunt the wind, for archery you need to get hidden and hold still so the deer comes close without spooking. Find a heavy trail leading to a food source and hunt it. I suggest shooting a doe or even a small buck, just to get the feel of what you're doing. Get a couple deer under your belt to help yourself learn.
-Jake
Old 09-28-2016, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

sometimes it takes many seasons of hunting to figure it all out that's the way it is most of the time. what type of area are you hunting? timber ? field ? combo of both? try to find some good trails and just sit in some area that you think looks good if you can't find rubs or scrapes and over time you will have to readjust depending on whats going on. also do you have acorns on the property or apples ? what state are you in ? btw scumbags stole your stuff that's pathetic !
Old 09-28-2016, 06:40 PM
Spike

Thanks for the positive feedback, I've scouted my trails from food sources to bedding sites. I watch the wind direction and moon phases. I've been trying to learn more of the astronomical aspect of things. I use a scent blocker and try to tie a doe scented wick and string to my boot while i walk in. I try to walk into my stand with winds in my face. Sometimes it dont always work that way. But i plan on to keep sitting in my stand all year long if thats what it takes that again. Just always good to hear someones perspective on things. Thanks again
Old 09-28-2016, 06:45 PM
Spike

Im in northwest ohio. Ive been focusing on this little 5acre wood lot centered on a bean field. About 100 yards south is also a corn field. I'm setup on a heavy trail about 40 yards into the woods coming from the fields.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sucks that someone stole your bow. It sounds like it's just a matter of time till you stick one. I found that i have most of my deer action near dawn & dusk, good luck.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'm in north east Ohio . Trumbull county.
-JaKe
Old 09-28-2016, 07:37 PM
Spike

Wood county&henry county/northwest ohio!!!
Old 09-28-2016, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Are you using game cameras to see where the deer frequently go? If your seeing them. Maybe you need to move your stand. But your on the right track. You'll get it figured out. That sucks about your gear...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.