Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Research question about deer hunting >

Research question about deer hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Research question about deer hunting

Old 08-17-2016, 07:20 AM
Spike

Default Research question about deer hunting

I'm writing a novel and need to describe a man carrying some type of rifle. It needs to be something appropriate for deer hunting but underpowered for anything larger.

When I first wrote the chapter, I described it only as a Ruger rifle but now I need to be a little more specific.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-17-2016, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Appropriate for deer but under powered for anything else. Really, such as? If that is your sum knowledge of firearms, I suggest you don't try to write about them. Successful writers generally write about what they know and if they don't know they do copies research in order to learn. Asking anonymous people on a message board is not research.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:25 AM
Dominant Buck

A minimal caliber such as .22 properly placed can kill almost anything that walks as would something on the other end of the spectrum like the .416 Rigby. Your question is too open ended. Since you don't know the answer to your own question I suggest just leaving it as a Ruger rifle. If you try to get more specific and don't have the knowledge to back it up the novel won't be believable. Sometimes less information is better.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion would be to replace "Ruger rifle" with something more familiar to readers. As in "Winchester" and leave it at that. If a cartridge is absolutely needed for your story line, then go with another familiar and well known cartridge is the trusty old side kick .30/30. As was pointed out earlier, your lack of knowledge about firearms will shine brightly to anyone with reasonable knowledge of them. Your question points out your lack of knowledge being as if you can kill a whitetail with it, you can kill pretty much anything else both bigger and smaller. Shot placement is more important than any caliber/cartridge size.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:41 AM
Spike

You're right I don't know a lot about hunting. Which would be why I'm asking. I assumed people that frequented this sort of forum would be able to help. The only time I've used a gun was a .22 in college target competition. Never hunted anything.

To be more specific... The hunter in question is out on a deer hunt. Through some fantasy/twilight zone type transformation, he's brought to another universe and runs across a herd of animals more akin to buffalo. I'm guessing that a .22 would be a poor choice of weapon for an animal with that thick of a hide. I could be wrong.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

AS SH54 says,a 30-30 would be a good gun for that. It is a very old deer rifle,the Winchester,and i would not doubt,back in the old days,shoot a few Bison.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome to HNI.

As far as caliber, I think many would consider the 243 Winchester appropriate for deer but somewhat underpowered for anything with a bigger, sturdier build. There are two Ruger rifles you might find appropriate that come to mind. The Ruger American is a relatively new economy rifle that can be chambered in the 243 cartridge. If you're looking for an older rifle, there's the Ruger M77, also made in 243.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Had an uncle once that killed a mulie buck with a thrown hatchet. While that worked on the deer I don't know as though I'd try it with bigger game.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:29 AM
Spike

Thank you.
I think the Ruger M77 will fit in well with the character's age.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just simply avoid specifying a caliber.....

So here I was again, walking thru these old woods. The pines towering and the birds fluttering about at my presence. Handed down from generations before me the old Winchester carbine had surely seen better days. If I had a fair chance today I am sure these old iron sights would prove true.".....

and yadda yadda yadda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.