Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What Age for Kid to Go To Camp? >

What Age for Kid to Go To Camp?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Age for Kid to Go To Camp?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

The unknown fact that the OP did not bring out was that it is his camp. That being the case there should be no question if he wants to take his son to camp. If the "guests" don't like it, they don't have to feel obligated to participate. Super, as far as cursing and dropping the F-bomb, I assure you when my daughter was a teen, teenagers didn't talk like drunken sailors in my home or my vehicle or anywhere around me. I have been a drunken sailor so I do know what that sounds like. I am quite certain that neither my granddaughter at 14 and my grandson a newly minted 16 do not foul mouth either at home or when they are with others. Now, I am far from an angel and I have been known to let some crude words fly, but not around kids. Not saying they all haven't heard cussing, I am sure they all have, however they don't all do it
Old 08-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Buck slayer, the OP said he is an owner of the camp and the others are guests. He doesn't have to ask permission to take his son to his camp
Old 08-02-2016, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, I don't have to ask. I can take him if I want. I just want everyone to be on board with it.

I would also have to get my wife's blessing. We agreed on 16 a bunch of years ago so we would have to both agree.....especially with pulling him out of school.

We never curse in the house and have a strict cursing policy. I never cursed in front of my son or in front of my parents. My dad has no issue with cursing, though. I have no issue dropping a curse here and there, we just chose not to do it in front of our children.

This is a big step. A right of passage. As kids, we never went to buck camp. We went up on the weekends, but the first Monday - Wednesday were the grown-ups. I guess I just got used to that.

The boy may very well be tagged out by buck camp so we'll see how that goes. He may be bored if he is in the cabin by himself all day.

This is our cabin. This isn't a club. So, my son is there every weekend and hunts every weekend that the season is opened. And with my dad most days. So this isn't the first time he's been to this place, or hunted, or hunted with gramps (Opa to us). It's just the 3 days where the men traditionally went up.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can't see now knowing all the facts how a year or two is going to make any difference if he's already a seasoned hunter with you and also gramps. In two years he'll still be in school so I think 3 days off is no big deal if he get decent grades whether it's now or at 16. Just let the guest hunters know ahead of time that he'll be there and that gives them the choice well ahead of time as to whether they show up or not.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, the grades and my wife's buy-in will probably make the decision. And if he wants to go if he's already tagged out.

The other guys won't mind.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter
If Grand pa is that old get him involved now while he can enjoy gramps and gramps can enjoy him !!!!
BINGO. How do you know Gramps will still be around in 2 years? I wish I could hunt with either of my grandfathers just once more but they have passed on. Besides how much trouble could it be to hunt with your 14 year old son. At that age he should be pretty stable and you can let him do the gutting and dragging.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get me wrong, he has been hunting with his grandfather and me every weekend in hunting season since 2008. The only thing he hasn't done is go to the traditional camp, which is the first 3 days of rifle season.

And it's no trouble to hunt with my son. He just can't hunt independently until he's 16. He would have to be by my side. Which is fine. That is what we have been doing every weekend for the last 8 seasons.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

I can't see any reason not to take him. The wife might see it differently though.
-Jake
Old 08-02-2016, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand its YOU camp and all, BUT if the folks that been going there haven't HAD to deal with a kid there, and you suddenely bring one
you could cause a issue with some, as they might have come to a understanding of what goes on
altering things SHOULD at least be run by them a head of time so THEY can make the decision if they still wish to come
springing it on them once there there isn't a very nice thing to do IMO

I belong to a hunting camp, and we have had members that showed up pout of the blue with a kid, and it effected a lot of the normal Deer camp pranks, that were more adult orientated and what many came to camp for
heck we have guys that don't even hunt that just show up for the events that happen every yr
and when kids show, up, we all have to adapt
most don't mind(me included I like seeing kids into the sport to be honest)
But some guys don't like it, and some cannot help the four letter words from flying as they slip up here and there, BUT damage is already done at that point? LOL

SO< I still say you should run things by your guest, so they know what they can expect, and allow them time to adjust and or decided if they still wish to show up .
I doubt many would care, but its the heads up some times that matters more
Old 08-02-2016, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Anyone who has a problem with their host's child coming to deer camp to hunt is not worth worrying about, I do not think the owner of a camp needs the permission of the guests that hunt deer from the camp, they have no expectation of control of what happens at the camp. In fact, if any of the guests have a problem with the owner's child hunting out of the camp, they should be told to look for greener pastures since they are not a friend. Since when do guests have any expectation of control over what happens at a camp where they are a guest? Guest being the operative word! Quite frankly, if it was my camp the last thing I would worry about would be want would my friends think if I brought my son to hunt from camp because I wouldn't have any friends who would have a problem with it!

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-02-2016 at 02:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.