Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What Age for Kid to Go To Camp? >

What Age for Kid to Go To Camp?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Age for Kid to Go To Camp?

Old 08-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are correct that the guests don't have a say in whether he goes or not as it's not a "camp" per se. It's our family's vacation home and I invite all my buddies up to hunt that week.

The family is up every other weekend and that week has generally just been the guys. No wives or kids. So it would be a change of gears. So I would let the guys know ahead of time, just as a courtesy. I really don't think any would mind. And eventually, I hope their kids come up and hunt as well.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck

We had a family deer camp owned by my grandfather, uncles and my father. I was always allowed to go to camp probably from around age 10 but it was the second weekend of the season. I was allowed to leave on Friday after school and stay until Monday or Tuesday with the pass from school since deer season was a "holiday" here in VT. When I got to be around 15 or 16 I could hunt alone and became a member for the first weekend and season opener. They were all Italian and had plenty of drinking games and lots of talk about our heritage. It was probably the single most important yearly event for me as a young person. I was taught sportsmanship and hunting skills by all the family. As they got older and less mobile my cousins and I actually were the better hunters but all of us were taught by our elders. A little bit of rough language didn't destroy any of us and to this day all my cousins and I follow the guide that the elders gave us. They are all gone now and the original camp was given up but all the cousins have their own version now with their kids learning and getting ready to take it over. Deer camp was better than Christmas in my eyes.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

It would depend on the "climate" of camp VS the boy's maturity level.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
My son is 14 now and has been hunting since he was 6. We have a bunch of guys who go up for buck camp every year. 7 or 8, sometimes 9 guys. My dad is one of them. I was thinking about including my son when he was 16. But, my dad is 85 and I don't know how much longer he would hunt. Would you take a 14 or 15 year old to buck camp?
I would absolutely take him. SO HE CAN HUNT WITH HIS GRANDFATHER before he's done hunting!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been taking my daughter to the hunting shack and fishing camp since she could walk. Cussing,farting,drinking,stinking and the whole 9 yards and I wouldn't have it any other way.

She was the only kid in here class last year to go all year without being disciplined at school and its rare I go a week without somebody telling me she is the most respectful kid they know.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Ive been taking my daughter to the hunting shack and fishing camp since she could walk. Cussing,farting,drinking,stinking and the whole 9 yards and I wouldn't have it any other way.

She was the only kid in here class last year to go all year without being disciplined at school and its rare I go a week without somebody telling me she is the most respectful kid they know.
Teachers were always complimenting my youngest daughter the same way Rock. I kept asking them to PLEASE send that child home instead of the one they keep sending
Old 08-02-2016, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Teachers were always complimenting my youngest daughter the same way Rock. I kept asking them to PLEASE send that child home instead of the one they keep sending
The only problems Ive really had was her learning the difference between what is a joke or giving someone a hard time and being disrespectful experience is how she learned the difference.

With everybody giving her 10 kinds of hell all the time it took her a while to learn the difference but she got it.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Cussing and hearing the F word every other word? Ever walk thru the mall around young people. Worst cussing and F word dropping I have ever heard. My deer camp sure doesn't sound like that.

Al
Old 08-03-2016, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get me wrong. This is not the first chance the boy will get to hunt with his grandfather. The 3 of us have been at the cabin every weekend together for the last 8 seasons. My dad was there for all of his deer. We even went on a couple guided hunts together, including the 3 of us bear hunting and fishing in Quebec. This is only about the 3 days of rifle buck that was traditionally the adult men.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take your son now. The experience should be great. Make sure he leaves his mobile phone and other electronic devices at home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.