Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which one ?

Old 06-15-2016, 03:47 PM
Spike

The new Law only allows for certain cartridges.....No common sense to the allowed ones in relation to the Not allowed ones......Politicians got involved. But.....they can now use a rifle.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by grinder67
270 is not or should I say will not be a legal cartridge in IN. according to what I have read so far of the potential legal calibers.
This was surprising to me when I saw that. I have killed deer in KY with .243, .270, 30-30, and 30-06. The only one I don't use any more is .243. THIS IS ONLY MY EXPERIENCE. But For me .243 is the least forgiving of all of those rounds. It is completely capable of killing to around 400 yards, but the difference between 100gr and 150gr is a lot when it comes to quick kills. My go to is .270 now. Of the 11 deer I have killed with it none have gone more then 15 yards and those shots range from 50 to 350 yards.

My longest kill is 200 yards with 30-30, which is stretching it a bit (for me at least).

I have only killed one deer with the 30-06, because I really see no need for the extra recoil when the .270 works so well.

I've killed far more pigs and lost far more pigs, because pigs are invasive and destructive I am much more likely to take a long shot on a pig.

Side note the deer in my avatar was killed with the .243 in the pic. I shot it twice. Both times hit perfect the heart was jelly when I cleaned it and it still went 50 yards spraying blood. I thought I had DRT with first shot, but it got up and started running off till I stopped it with a grunt and hammered it a second time.

My son hunts deer here in FL with his .243 due to the recoil, but I limit his shots to 100 yards and I am always ready for a follow up shot with the .270.

Last edited by Tufrthnails; 06-15-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just because you hit that deer in the heart doesn't mean a DRT animal. I tracked a doe years ago that a guy shot with a 12 gauge slug and we found her 200 yards from where he hit her and her heart was blown in half!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nails, every deer will react differently. Unless you interrupt nervous center by brain or spinal shot you run the risk of a deer getting up and running. I've blown hearts apart and watched those deer run in upwards of 150 yards before dropping. It doesn't matter what you hit them with. I watched one deer I absolutely NAILED go 130 yards from impact point with the whole top half of the heart and both lungs decimated from a 180 grain SP from a .30-06 at 85 yards. I've also seen deer drop like the hammer of Thor was smashed into their sculls from that same shot from a .243. Sometimes they run, other times they drop. It's mainly why I switched my target to high shoulder when gun hunting. 90% of the time I get spinal interruption and drop the deer in it's tracks. If I miss a bit low, I have still gotten the lungs and if I miss a bit high then it's not a bad injury to the deer and it will heal up quickly for another day. Larger calibers may be a bit more forgiving, but the fact is, proper shot placement should be the main focus no matter what you are shooting. The larger caliber rifles aren't needed for scraggly little old whitetails. Not if you put the bullet where it belongs.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Talking about shots and reactions to shot, especially in the heart, it is worth noting some field work done by a guy name Kevin Robertson. He is a licensed veternarian in Zimbabwe and is also a professional hunter that specializes in Cape Buffalo which are notoriously tough. Like many hunters he had noticed how differently animals can react to what is essentially identical bullet placement. Some run off and others hit the ground flopping. He wanted to find out a reason so he put his veterinary training to use.

He ran some experiments and did a whole bunch of after shot "surgeries" and came up with an interesting theory. He says what he thinks happens is if the bullet happens to hit the heart when it if full of blood in the pumping cycle just as the valve opens the blood goes surging straight up the arteries to the brain and basically causes a massive stroke which results in an immediate lights out scenario. He basis this on dissecting brains on heart shot animals and noticed that some of them had damage to the brain as well and since this is nowhere near where the bullet hit, a surge of blood is the only explanation he could fathom. If the heart isn't full of blood then the animal will kick and run as usual and drop after a measure of distance is covered. Note none of this takes into effect hitting bones etc...

While it would be impossible to prove this theory in the field, it does make some sense.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kinetic energy transfer throughout the arterial system has been a theory for a long time now. Like you said Flags, it's one that's a bit tough to prove. It does make a lot of sense though.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep. His theory isn't so much kinetic energy but hydraulic force on vital organs due to massive displacement of blood by bullet impact on a blood filled ventricle. It makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RaySendero
How did you narrow down your choices to those 2?

Specifically, How did you eliminate a 30/30, 270 or 308 when anyone of these cartridges has accounted for more deer than the 44M and 243 combined?
I'm looking for a gun that can be used for myself my oldest daughter and my wife I've just heard for the most part good things about the 44 mag and they aren't to expensive the 243. Shouldn't have to much recoil I do think want to beat them to death with the 30 cals I would probably get a 270 but they aren't legal here
Old 06-16-2016, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are multiple Ruger .44 mag carbines in my family and they have all dropped deer out to about 100 yards, which is a long shot where we hunt. Both are great with hollow points around 220/240 gr.

One thing to consider, not sure on the rules there, but a .44 is considered a handgun cartridge in some states, such as MA (where my Dad lives). He had to get a pistol permit to buy .44 mag cartriges for his rifle (figure that logic out).

I have zero direct experience with .243 but have a friend who loves it.

Another "low kick" to consider is 7mm-08, recently got one for my wife, she loves shooting it. Bit harder to find bullets for if you don't handload, but it's common enough that basspro, cabella's etc, all have them, but Wal-Mart doesn't.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have shot several .44 magnums handguns, I have never shot the round in a rifle. I have also shot a .243 on several occasions as I bought one for my grandson. I suspect the .243 would have less felt recoil than the .44 mag rifle and that is what the OP said he is looking for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.