HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which one ?
Thread: Which one ?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Tufrthnails
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by grinder67
270 is not or should I say will not be a legal cartridge in IN. according to what I have read so far of the potential legal calibers.
This was surprising to me when I saw that. I have killed deer in KY with .243, .270, 30-30, and 30-06. The only one I don't use any more is .243. THIS IS ONLY MY EXPERIENCE. But For me .243 is the least forgiving of all of those rounds. It is completely capable of killing to around 400 yards, but the difference between 100gr and 150gr is a lot when it comes to quick kills. My go to is .270 now. Of the 11 deer I have killed with it none have gone more then 15 yards and those shots range from 50 to 350 yards.

My longest kill is 200 yards with 30-30, which is stretching it a bit (for me at least).

I have only killed one deer with the 30-06, because I really see no need for the extra recoil when the .270 works so well.

I've killed far more pigs and lost far more pigs, because pigs are invasive and destructive I am much more likely to take a long shot on a pig.

Side note the deer in my avatar was killed with the .243 in the pic. I shot it twice. Both times hit perfect the heart was jelly when I cleaned it and it still went 50 yards spraying blood. I thought I had DRT with first shot, but it got up and started running off till I stopped it with a grunt and hammered it a second time.

My son hunts deer here in FL with his .243 due to the recoil, but I limit his shots to 100 yards and I am always ready for a follow up shot with the .270.

Last edited by Tufrthnails; 06-15-2016 at 04:02 PM.